Behold, an arsenal of weaponry questions

As best I can tell, there are a number of weapon-related mechanics that haven't been delved into yet. Maybe someone can clarify them for me, or just have some fun speculating.

Loosely connected weaponry questions ahoy!

1. How is dual-wielding going to work? Can you dual wield all types of one-handed weapons? Is it going to penalize accuracy but double attacks? Will it add to defense?

2. Is weapon finesse, or something similar, in the game? Will agile characters be ideally suited to certain weapons? Does that pigeon-hole them into only being effective against certain enemies?

3. Does dual-wielding come with multiple talents? Is it contingent on dexterity minimums?

4. Is dual wielding intended to do as much or more damage than two-handed weapon use? How are disparities in attack speed handled? In DnD, dual-wielding weapons with elemental damage or save vs. effect could become absurdly dangerous.

5. Will it be possible to craft top-tier weapons of all types, meaning all weapon specializations can be equally viable end-game? (I.e., craft a +5 katana if no enemies/merchants have any?)

6. Will sword-n-board be significantly inferior in damage to DW or 2h weapons, or will shield bashes and other abilities close the gap?

7. And, perhaps most miscellaneously, how will spell interruption work? Is it even in the game?

There's bound to be fodder for discussion in there somewhere. Cheers.

My questions/answers back to you are:

Q1. Why do you want dual wielding?

A2. Of course there will be. Finesse is the other end of the heavy hitter arc. The two encompassing the spectrum of weapon effectiveness.

Q3. Again. Why do you want dual wielding? Answer this and you'll answer your question.

A4. Again.

A5. Crafting is normally based on levelled skills and ingredients. Unless they put in Deity grade weapons then you'll see high level stuff.

Q6. It sounds to me like you just want all weapon styles to be balanced. True?

A7. Spell interruption is just part of balancing mages against people with broken bottles. You don't want spell interruptions so much as a way of biffing spellslingers before they use eldritch powers to pull your underpants up and out through your nose.

Q7 <sic> Assuming A7 is correct, how else might you achieve this?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Without knowing, I'd assume agility to be the stat governing attack accuracy and strength the damage output.

So "weapon finesse"as in D&D wouldn't come into play at all.

Further assumption, heavier weapons have slower attack speed.

Dual weapon fighting... well I'd like to know about this as well.

1. Josh Sawyer on Formspring:

Two-weapon fighting sacrifices both raw per-hit damage output (two-handed weapons excel at it) and the Deflection bonus provided by a shield, which is significant. Because PE's armor system uses a Damage Threshold (straight subtraction) system, low damage hits against a heavily armored target can be very inefficient. High Deflection is most important for characters who fight a number of melee opponents. Against a small number of targets in light or no armor, two-weapon fighting is extremely efficient.

It won't add anything to defence, but there will be some weapon types that will have a deflection bonus. The deflection bonus from a weapon is dwarfed by the deflection bonus provided by a shield.

2. If your Accuracy against a targets defence is much better you will have a higher chance to hit/ critical hit a target. I don' t think you will have to use any specific weapons, but maybe some weapon types will have an accuracy bonus. (Each Weapon type will have a special bonus known are the bonus of the flail (negates some of the defensive bonus of a shield), pike (extended reach) and the estoc(negates Damage Threshold)).

3. We don't know what attributs there will be in PE and what they will affect.

4. there will be faster weapons, but for most weapons it will be catrogically. Josh Sawyer on the forum:

certain weapons are inherently faster than others.  Weapons like daggers, stilettos, rapiers, hatchets, clubs, and flails (think of these last two as being relatively small-- no caveman clubs or Witch-King flails) are "fast" one-handed weapons and attack more frequently than larger/heavier one-handed weapons like swords, maces, battle axes, war hammers, etc.  Two-handed weapons are slower than their one-handed counterparts.

In terms of basic mechanics, the primary trade-off between fast weapons and slower weapons is between damage per hit and damage over time.  If the target's DT is low, the low per-hit damage of a fast weapon is not particularly important because your attack rate racks up the damage quickly.  If the target's DT is high, low per-hit damage is a bigger problem and the slower attacking weapons become much more efficient

I think additional Elemental damage will be handled as an extra attack and will be reduced by a percentage of the targets DT.

5.  I think there is no information about the crafting. But you can't specialize in weapons but only in weapon groups, that will cover all of the physical damage types(slash, pierce and crushing).

6. See 1)

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 2

Two-weapon fighting sacrifices both raw per-hit damage output (two-handed weapons excel at it) and the Deflection bonus provided by a shield, which is significant. Because PE's armor system uses a Damage Threshold (straight subtraction) system, low damage hits against a heavily armored target can be very inefficient. High Deflection is most important for characters who fight a number of melee opponents. Against a small number of targets in light or no armor, two-weapon fighting is extremely efficient.

Currently, some weapons will also grant a Deflection bonus, but those bonuses are dwarfed by those provided by a shield.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1