Gay Marriage to be legalized in the UK

BruceVC

Getting the government "out of marriage" sounds like a good idea, but is too complicated to be accomplished anytime soon. For one(in the US) marriage is handled partially by the states some of which have very different polices. Trying to get the majority of Republicans in the south to agree to get out of marriage is an extremely difficult task,because the majority of them rely on campaigning against "the gay agenda" to get elected.

Gays should have the right to get married. It is a contract that they should be able to enter with the partner of their choice if they choose to. Don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex.

As far as the destruction of religious liberty, seriously? The gays aren't going to swarm en masse to force you to marry them and/or sue you. The vast majority would just get married somewhere that would be willing to marry them, then go along and not bother you at all. Those that would try to sue you would not have much of a case, unless they can prove you denied their request for other reasons.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

greylord, while I can approve of your egalitarian instinct in retsraining government I don't think you are really squaring your logic all the way round.

The nature of democratic law is PRECISELY and COMPLETELY about people forcing their opinions on other people. All democracy gets you is the right to stand up and debate it before it happens. 

Our democratic stance in most countries ensures against discrimination on grounds of sexuality.

If you really don't want government sticking its nose into religion, then I would respectfully suggest that religion stop relying on government to protect its corner. Stop religions being able to confer civil benefits - tax breaks for married couples, exemption from giving testimony, contractual and financial capabilities - on religious institutions. Then it must rely solely upon the force of its arguments and the integrity of its proponents. 

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

...then I would respectfully suggest that religion stop relying on government to protect its corner. Stop religions being able to confer civil benefits - tax breaks for married couples, exemption from giving testimony, contractual and financial capabilities - on religious institutions. Then it must rely solely upon the force of its arguments and the integrity of its proponents.

I usually skip the 'respectfully' part and just campaign for abolishing the concept of "marriage" altogether as a civil status (somewhere on one of the first pages of this thread I think) :)
  • Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein