Silly question/suggestion, but a thing nontheless.

I know that the game is being built using the Unity engine, but I have to ask this.

I was lying in bed the other night, thinking about what the actual engine could be called (As in the core codebase of the game that is built within unity), since the old games used the Infinity engine and that name was IMHO quite a defining feature.

Now, after 20 minutes of sleepy thinking, my brain settled on..

The Eternity Engine!

Yeah, I was tired. But regardless, when I woke up, I remembered that and thought it was a pretty neat idea!

Since this is a continuation of those types of old games, eternity as a word and concept goes hand in hand with infinity. While infinity means.. well, an infinite amount, eternity to me means an infinite amount of time. What is the one thing that has changed between the old games and this? Time!

Because of what unity is, I kind of feel that it works as a concept to have an engine inside an engine. Since unity is so versitile and it's not as specified as a standard engine, having a sort of... sub-engine that runs the aspects important to this game as a concept sort of works. Since technically, other games could easily be made in the same style once the base has been made in unity. While I know that a sub-engine isn't exactly how it works on a technical level, I still think it would be pretty neat to carry on the legacy of that amazing engine.

Plus, after the game has a name, this will be a great callback to the original concept and the kickstarter, and hopefully could pave the way for many more games to come!

They could always compromise with "UNITERNITY ENGINE!" :)

I like that better than "Etunity," as name-splices go.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ah!

Just figured it out, the phrase I was thinking of is Framework.

As in Flixel, it's a framework for flash

Also, I'm not really proposing this to be legit for legal reasons, but more of a nickname to keep both the spirit, and the dev name alive.

Edited by Jademalo

I dont think the name of the engine is that important to actually rename it, the connection as the "spiritual succesor" of the "infinity games" is that is going to be named (probably) Eternity (btw, i think we all love minimalistic names, so just eternity would be ok)