Sawyerism Distilled - an interview with Josh Sawyer at Iron Tower Studio

Huh, I wasnt aware that resurrection had definately been removed from "normal" mode. Bummer.

Huh indeed. There is no dying in "normal" mode. Therefore, what possible use would resurrection have?

Just for the record I am pretty darn sure they have not said that. There is nothing that says "maiming" can't result in your death. Only that when you go down you are not "automatically" dead. Truth is even if "maiming" never kills you but results in stat loss or some such you could still end up with a character who for party use purposes can be "dead" due to various stacked up maiming penalties. I suspect the general idea is you play smart though and no one ever gets maimed or it is very very rare.

After all nothing forces you to keep going in a dungeon after a particularly nasty fight, it is the players job to know when it is time to run away to fight another day.

Update #24:

For players, the Health of their party members is a tether that makes them consider how far they are willing to venture from a safe resting spot. Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.

That's pretty unequivocal IMO -- you're only killed in Expert mode or as an option in standard play.

AFAIK they haven't said anything about what "maimed" means in terms of mechanics, nor what, if anything, you can do to fix it. Again, perhaps they haven't even decided yet.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Update #24:

For players, the Health of their party members is a tether that makes them consider how far they are willing to venture from a safe resting spot. Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.

That's pretty unequivocal IMO -- you're only killed in Expert mode or as an option in standard play.

AFAIK they haven't said anything about what "maimed" means in terms of mechanics, nor what, if anything, you can do to fix it. Again, perhaps they haven't even decided yet.

I'm sure it's just a flesh wound.

Second, since health will be regenerated on rest, attrition across chapters just ain't gonna happen.

Wrong. Only the secondary health bar heals when resting. The main health bar "automagically" regenerates by itself. ^^

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

In these parts, what you call "secondary health" is called "health," and what you call "main health" is called "stamina." Stamina is regenerated continuously, health on rest.

Follow the link to update #24 for details (and the exact definitions of the terms).

And yeah, it is IMO a good idea to stick to shared names when available. Otherwise confusion and unnecessary chatter will result -- this exchange of messages, for example.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

In these parts, what you call "secondary health" is called "health," and what you call "main health" is called "stamina." Stamina is regenerated continuously, health on rest.

Follow the link to update #24 for details (and the exact definitions of the terms).

And yeah, it is IMO a good idea to stick to shared names when available. Otherwise confusion and unnecessary chatter will result -- this exchange of messages, for example.

Oh, I know the official terms. But stamina is nothing other than health (at least in this game) no matter what you call it. ^^

i.e.

Main health bar (stamina)

Secondary health bar (health)

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I don't find arguing about what to call them a productive use of anybody's time.

:dancing:

~~~~~~~~~~~