How much is 4 million?

Yeah, not inflation adjusted or time adjusted for the change in tech allowing stuff to not only look better but get rendered out at an extremely faster rate for quicker touch up and implementation. Every IE game took about 2 years and that was back when rendering out an environment could take them half a day or more. They'll be able to render one out, much larger, much more detailed, in less of the time. Granted that means more work on the environment part its self, but that's a huge chunk of time no longer being wasted. It's a lunch break at most.

So a lot of other stuff is faster and more efficient now then it was back then, things cost a bit more then they did back then... it kinda evens out. Either way I still think 4M is enough. Also keep in mind area doesn't = content. Someone said 'more content then BG2' and... that game was 200-ish hours of pure content first shot through, damn big ass game but its not the map 'size' that makes it big. Good thing to keep in mind, I'm sure they'll have a ton of content and it may very well be up and above BG2's overall content... but just cause there's 2 cities doesn't instantly make it more.

...but damn im looking forward to 2 large cities, loved that about PST and BG2. And the idea of some middle ground exploring outside instead of just 'here a quest area' sounds pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Def Con: kills owls dead

I have a feeling that Obsidian will be able to stretch out and do a heck of a lot more with 4million than I ever could. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I found the question of taxes and Kickstarter somewhat interesting. I Googled around, and found out that Amazon immediately files a tax form to the IRS after a Kickstarter campaign is completed, and the money IS eligible to be taxed. As far as how much is taxed, some articles claim leftover money is taxed after the first year. Others say not. Some say it all depends, and none of it may be taxed whatsoever. So yeah...it's a bit of a legal maze. Bottom line is, anyone with a Kickstarter might want to have a good accountant(s).

Well, Amazon has to file a tax form for certain because it is profit for them. Same with Kickstarter.

Edited by Morality Games

May Kickstarter be with you and all your stretch goals achieved. 

Let's see:

4.1 million minus 10% Kickstarter+Amazon = 3.7 million

3.7 million minus 30% taxes = 2.6 million net income

2.6 million divided by 1.5 years developing time = 1.73 millions per year.

For 1.73 millions you can employ 23 people with 75k gross earnings.

Of course there is still other stuff to pay like rents or power bills and costs for external contractors like voice-acting, download services or pressing the DVDs.

There will also be a large chunk of that gone on backer rewards. One reason why I always choose one of the digital options when pledging.