In-Game Advertising

The likelihood that Pepsi is going to spring $500 to put something like "Ogbart

Born 321 Died 340 due to lack of Pepsi" that is going to be seen at best (atm) by ~70,000 people worldwide is pretty low (compare that to putting Pepsiman in SEGA's Saturn version of Fighting Vipers which was presumed to reach the Japanese installed userbase for the Saturn (the character was not used in US and UK markets). Add that that many players may never find the tombstone...unlikely there would be any appeal for the company to spend advertising dollars this way.

Meh. So there won't be a Pepsi ad in this game after all? -_-

Revoking my pledge and Obsidian Order status immediately.

Edited by AW8

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

Obsidian did note that all fan content will need to fit within the context of the world. Which means, this kind of silliness will be screened out. I think this is something of a non-issue.

If that is their stance as you say, then we can rest easy that we will never meet the Kerfuffle monster then or an NPC with said name? I have my fingers crossed they do not have double standards.

So you two are saying advertising is fine, so long as it is unintentional or from a large corporation?

No, what I'm saying is the TARDIS in Fallout isn't an ad for the BBC or Doctor Who. The nuclear waste barrels in Planescape: Torment wasn't an ad for Fallout or Fallout 2. The kids from the Dungeons and Dragons' cartoon in the form of portraits in a store in BG2 isn't an ad for the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon or the cartoon's rights holder (and BG2 is probably a bigger ad for buying D&D products than anything else in the game could possibly be).

They were easter eggs. If Obsidian decides to make a kerfluffles marshmellow gag in the game, and it doesn't break the setting and it doesn't say with it "Buy Kerfluffles marshmellows NOW!!!!!!!111111one" then does it constitute an ad? Or a gag? To me its a gag.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They were easter eggs. If Obsidian decides to make a kerfluffles marshmellow gag in the game, and it doesn't break the setting and it doesn't say with it "Buy Kerfluffles marshmellows NOW!!!!!!!111111one" then does it constitute an ad? Or a gag? To me its a gag.

The Tardis is not a corporation or was it even a show on TV at the time nor did the BBC back Fallout with actual money, so I think the comparison is not exactly a decent one.

You see the Kerfuffle thing as a gag, yet I see it as a blatant advertisement, but I guess part of our inability to see eye to eye is that we have different perspectives on the matter. Just because you see it as not being an legitimate advert, does that make it right for others? If Kerfuffle did not back Obsidian, with the intention of adding a Kerfuffle NPC, would I still have problem then? Probably not, because then Obsidian would not have the influence from the company any more and their decision would seem to be their own.

Edited by Aedelric