STATS (strength, endurance, intelligence, etc.)

Handling Stats  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Stats shouldn't easily be gamed, but how?

• All stats should be useful to everyone, so there's a risk in having any of them very low
    • You shouldn't be able to significantly change a characters stats at all.
    • Some other way
    • I've no opinion but want to vote anyway
  2. 2. Should...

• Races have a maximum for different stats?
    • Classes require a minimum stat(s)?
    • I like voting

I think every stat should be useful in some way for every class and there should be a lot of interaction between the different attributes.

For example, I think intelligence should be more about capacity to learn or speed of learning so that it benefits all characters. A character with higher intelligence would be able to learn more things faster than a character with lower intelligence. Warriors would be able to learn more fighting moves while mages would learn more spells. However, mages would require higher intelligence because magic takes much longer to learn than fighting moves so while a person with normal intelligence can learn magic, they would not be able to learn it fast enough to become adventurers. Warriors on the other hand, would require higher physical stats because certain fighting moves can't be learned unless someone has a certain amount of strength, dexterity, endurance, perception, or speed.

That way, you can have a lot of variations in build types. For example, a warrior with high strength and intelligence can learn a lot of strength dependent fighting styles/moves/stances, while a fighter with high strength, dexterity, perception, and speed can learn fewer but more powerful fighting styles/moves/stances that are dependent on all those stats.

Magic could work the same way. Some spells would either require higher perception, dexterity, endurance, or speed, or they would work much more effectively if you meet certain physical requirements.

Also, I'd love to have as many attributes as possible and greater interaction between the different stats but that can get tedious.

Edited by Giantevilhead
  • Like 3

"It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do."

I hope for a more Fallout inspired stat system than a D&D style one. D&D only really worked with random stat rolls which simply don't work in a crpg, when the point-buy system was introduced, min/maxing made it pretty easy to game. You could create a character archetype and decide on any long term class/dual class progress and kind of work from there. Individual stats had a direct class correlation and it was just useless to dump certain stat points into some classes.

Fallout made each stat useful enough for any archetype, but it also wasn't a class-based game, so I don't really know how to reconcile the two. All I can think of is having skill/spell trees for every class that uses various secondary stats, meaning that neglecting secondary stats can lock classes out of some upgrade paths.

• Like 1

I feel more like characters should be able to excel in a couple of stats, (maybe more with some kind of pro-con balanced trait, a charismatic lush drinks a lot and runs from fights and husbands so he's not very tough or strong,) and be limited to an average range for their race for anything they're not specially trained or experienced in. Possibly penalized to some degree for more talent in a given area. I think racial bonuses should be minimized if they're there, (there's not that much difference between the overall capabilities of real human races; white men can indeed jump.) Something like cultural background, how the character was raised (and in what setting,) and personal history should play more of a role in a character's starting stats and abilities than something as archaic as race.

We don't need more Elder Scrolls style "we black people sho is strong and loves us some watey-mellon, but ain't to sharp, if'n y'know whats I meens?" It's still amazing to me that they can get away with what is essentially bald-faced racism in those games.

I think every stat should be useful in some way for every class and there should be a lot of interaction between the different attributes.

For example, I think intelligence should be more about capacity to learn or speed of learning so that it benefits all characters. A character with higher intelligence would be able to learn more things faster than a character with lower intelligence. Warriors would be able to learn more fighting moves while mages would learn more spells. However, mages would require higher intelligence because magic takes much longer to learn than fighting moves so while a person with normal intelligence can learn magic, they would not be able to learn it fast enough to become adventurers. Warriors on the other hand, would require higher physical stats because certain fighting moves can't be learned unless someone has a certain amount of strength, dexterity, endurance, perception, or speed.

That way, you can have a lot of variations in build types. For example, a warrior with high strength and intelligence can learn a lot of strength dependent fighting styles/moves/stances, while a fighter with high strength, dexterity, perception, and speed can learn fewer but more powerful fighting styles/moves/stances that are dependent on all those stats.

Magic could work the same way. Some spells would either require higher perception, dexterity, endurance, or speed, or they would work much more effectively if you meet certain physical requirements.

Also, I'd love to have as many attributes as possible and greater interaction between the different stats but that can get tedious.

I agree that intelligence should be vital. Intelligence doesn't necessarily need to be limited to academic pursuits (because studying and knowledge is more about memory, something different from functional intelligence,) i.e. a highly intelligent fighter could develop novel, unique fighting techniques no others had thought of before, things along that line.

Edited by AGX-17

We don't need more Elder Scrolls style "we black people sho is strong and loves us some watey-mellon, but ain't to sharp, if'n y'know whats I meens?" It's still amazing to me that they can get away with what is essentially bald-faced racism in those games.

It's because the Aryan are also strong and stupid in their games.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The problem with stats is they're a false choice. There's a mathematically optimal point distribution for every build, and there's no way to change this. The player's real choice is in which build they want to play. I'm all for choices but they should be real choices, and stat systems are not only lazy but entirely ineffectual ways to accomplish this.

The problem with stats is they're a false choice. There's a mathematically optimal point distribution for every build, and there's no way to change this. The player's real choice is in which build they want to play. I'm all for choices but they should be real choices, and stat systems are not only lazy but entirely ineffectual ways to accomplish this.

You're forgetting that this is an RPG so stats have an effect outside of combat.

Also, if there's greater interaction between different stats so that characters with points evenly distributed to every stat will have access to abilities or skills not available to characters that focus on two or three stats then they will matter.

Also, if there's greater interaction between different stats so that characters with points evenly distributed to every stat will have access to abilities or skills not available to characters that focus on two or three stats then they will matter.

This. I've always disliked the Fallout system, where you pretty much have to be intelligent to be a good shot.

But I could like and appreciate where an intelligent fighter can fight with intelligence, using feints and distractions.

so give wizards a minimum intelligence requirement. I don't think studying spells and whatnot would make them more intelligent. It would make them know more but that's knowledge, not intelligence.

Its not the biggest deal in the world. Just my personal preference. I just don't like that when I want to play "smart" through a game, its always best to be a mage. Let intelligence still be good for mages even, just not the only stat they really care about for combat. Let it give them more spell slots or something, I don't know.

If they base PE on a D&D-like system (as it sounds like they will), possibly they could use different mental stats for the DC modifier against Fort, Ref, and Will. I.e. use the Int modifier against Ref saves, the Will modifier against Fort saves, and the Cha modifier against Will saves. Combining that with a reduced reliance on Int for bonus spells and spell level restrictions would increase the incentive for wizards to improve their other mental ability scores.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's because the Aryan are also strong and stupid in their games.

More like, some people have nothing better to do then look for things to call racist. Which is extreemly sad.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I'd be disappointed if they stuck with the traditional D&D stat system, for reasons that have already been touched on by several people here. Obsidian is working with a clean slate for PE, and I think they can and will do better. Given the universal importance they place on the "soul" concept, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a major stat itself.

But whatever specifics they decide to go with, I do hope they make a wide range of stats--ideally, all of them--useful to every class. Again, the broad applicability of "soul" to pretty much everyone seems to lean in this direction. I like the idea of having an intelligent fighter who might not be the biggest muscle in town but is a brilliant tactician. There's no reason all mages have to be bags of skin and bones either, and the description they gave for the classes even notes that "a surprising number of wizards are quite fit", so maybe they have something in mind there.

As for out of combat uses for stats, it would be nice if less socially developed characters had plenty of opportunities to flex their muscles or show off their dexterity now and then. A strong character might find it easier to physically intimidate or impress others, and one with skilled hands might be able to swap that golden idol sitting on the pedestal for a bag of sand without setting off the trap. The conversationally inclined need not have all the fun.