Remember Shymon and Scarbunkel? Let's have some singing bards in this game

These two were such a nice treat in SoZ. The regular tavern music started up and suddenly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHDgpalcmAY

I loved how the subtitles on screen were synced up with the music.

So yeah. Singing bards in Project Eternity! For bonus points, they should also be a thinly veiled reference to a real life group.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

Actual singing has been such a rarity in games that I wouldn't mind a little more bardic flavour, either. I actually liked Leliana's song, but dear lord was that sequence ever painful to watch. Keep it in the background, tho, and I think it could add a fair bit of ambiance, personally... particularly since you've already got orchestral scores as regular walking music.

Would prefer it NOT be based, egg-like, on some real-life group.

Those two were great. However. like others have said, just some rare encounter somewhere and not something recurring in every establishment.

I mean, Dragon Age Origins and Skyrim had a fair share of bards as well, and well... Hang on a minute! Each and every CRPG seems to have them, so I think Alan-a-Dale needs to be lain to rest. Perhaps a Bard class, but for a mature setting with darker themes and all, I think I prefer a break from at least comic relief-bards. Can't there be other kinds of comic relief? It sure can!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I want the chanters from Baldur's Gate 1 who just stand there and say the same lines over and over.

Chanter: The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Voice of the East: In the year of the turrets, a great host will come from the east like a plague of locusts. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Voice of the North: When conflict sweeps across the Dales the great lizard of the north shall descend with fire and fury. So sayeth the great Alaundo.

Voice of the South: When shadows descend upon the lands, our divine lords will walk alongside us as equals. So sayeth the great Alaundo.

Voice of the West: The Wyrm shall wander the earth and such a pestilence will follow in his wake that all who know of his passing shall be struck down by the plague. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

I like this idea. :yes: They don't have to be comic, but singing bards in the game is a nice touch and adds to the atmosphere.

Actually, I liked Skyrim bards too and liked that they sang different versions of the song depending on what side the city belonged to.

Edited by Pangur
obsidian-shield.jpg