How Immersive & Involved do you want Character Creation to be?

During CHARACTER CREATION what methods get you most invested in the game.  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What gets you most invested in a Characters Story during Character Creation.

• PRELUDE [Narrative Background that I can play through that determines some setting choices pre-game and then allows Character Sheet tweaking]
    • THEMED STEP-BY-STEP [ Separate Screens that walk you through what effect you choices will have on your starting point and progression in the world]
    • RANDOM ROLL [ Take what you are given and read you Characters Journal play in the world to find out more]
    • INTERACTIVE [ A Tutorial that demonstrates how a skill will play in the game when you take it and allows you to pick your favourites]
    • R.T.F.M. [ Read a PDF, Manual or Website to get background on the game, then read a set of P&P rules and enter the results when the game starts]
    • OLD SCHOOL CHARACTER SHEET [ I just want to crunch some numbers on one page then see where the game takes me]
    • PRE-GEN [ I want somebody who wrote the story to come up with several basic start points with deep background and interaction that I can pick between]
    • GET ON WITH IT [ I want only ONE main character that the story was written for, I don't need choice of character just a good story that I can have an effect on]
  2. 2. Character Creation is not that important to me as long as I can still make choices in the game that effects the outcome of events in it.

• Agree
    • Disagree

Someone beat me to the Ultima IV reference but that was an interesting and at the time unique take on character generation.

A prelude if done well can give an immediate boost to game immersiveness immediately thrusting the player into the game world and even add to replay-ability (DA:O is a fair example).

However from what little has been said about the game; that the protagonist is a witness to an horrific event which forces him down down a certain path suggests that multiple preludes may not be an option.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

It is indeed strange and rather confusing too... The typos don't help either. ^^

I don't know why it's that strange. Those are some of the ways that games handle character creation... and it's a "mark as many answers as you want" so if you want, say, what Bethesda has (answer questions, but then get a character sheet to adjust however you want (or, in earlier TES games like Morrowind, the option to skip one of the processes), or you want some kind of tutorial introduction where your stats are chosen for you as you play only, or you want random rolls that aren't explained outside of the manual....

It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Having some sort of "Prelude" or "Origin" where you get to organically determine your character sheet could be a cool alternative to being able to edit it manually.

That said, Fallout 3's prompt that let you edit your sheet again just as you left the Vault was horribly immersion-breaking, so that either needs to be presented in a more immersive way, or there should be a switch you can flip in the game's settings to disable the prompt and just go with whatever sheet your choices have generated.

And, of course, there has to be an option to skip the prelude entirely and just go straight to the character sheet and then jump into the game.

• Like 1

Something stirs within...

Having some sort of "Prelude" or "Origin" where you get to organically determine your character sheet could be a cool alternative to being able to edit it manually.

That said, Fallout 3's prompt that let you edit your sheet again just as you left the Vault was horribly immersion-breaking, so that either needs to be presented in a more immersive way, or there should be a switch you can flip in the game's settings to disable the prompt and just go with whatever sheet your choices have generated.

And, of course, there has to be an option to skip the prelude entirely and just go straight to the character sheet and then jump into the game.

I agree - the Fallout 3 beginning is great, on a first play of the game.

But any veteran of TES games will tell you that you should create one permanent save game - right before you leave the tutorial area, right before you can make those final changes to your character - so on replays you can just load there and "create your new character" then.

But I also agree - a toggle / ability to switch this would be better. Even better? Tutorial is optional and part of the start menu.