Challenging lockpicking process

Please read the thread before voting  

231 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this system ?

• Very good, I want that !
    • Not bad.
    • Better than nothing.
    • Nothing would be better than that !
    • Don't care.
    • Project Eternity becomes "Lockpicking: The Lockpickening" ? Just no.
  2. 2. Suggestions ?

• More complexity !
    • Less complexity !
    • More character skill influence !
    • More player intelligence influence !
    • More freedom of action !
    • More guided process !
    • The cake is a lie !

Thinking about a heavily scripted PC, maybe the idea is not as bad as I thought; under one condition: When the player takes over, he must be able to make a significant difference. Let's say that the PC can be set to pick all locks he comes across (this would only be useful in a dungeon); you can either let that happen, or you can take over and pick the lock yourself, be it in the form of a minigame or something like choosing the right tools (the PC would have to make sub-optimal choices to make this viable).

Thinking about a heavily scripted PC, maybe the idea is not as bad as I thought; under one condition: When the player takes over, he must be able to make a significant difference. Let's say that the PC can be set to pick all locks he comes across (this would only be useful in a dungeon); you can either let that happen, or you can take over and pick the lock yourself, be it in the form of a minigame or something like choosing the right tools (the PC would have to make sub-optimal choices to make this viable).

I wouldn't mind having different tools that are more/less effective depending on the type of lock, and that the AI for companions(or PC) will just use whichever one is equipped. While the player is in control of the PC, they can choose which set of tools will be used on the lock, which can lead to better results. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I felt Eschalon had nice enough system, lock pick tools (chance to break upon failure) + skill (higher level higher chance to succeed). The game also had nice touch of randomisation of what find inside chests, crates and other things. It added to replay value and if did not like what got could reload and get something potentially different. It also had the ability to blow up doors using explosive barrels rather than lock picking from time to time and could bash/smash open chests and such but with risk of damaging or breaking whats inside. I found that games system for it to be nice enough, random enough to add to replay value and complexity about right level.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

You know, I never will understand how telling someone that your ignoring them is such a big threat.

Anyways, I think that to make lock-picking more interesting, they could require the use of thieve's tools(which should not be a single use item like in NWN(2), but rather a relatively expensive item that can be used multiple times), and have a chance to destroy the tools and/or destroy the mechanism that allows the chest to be opened. It could function exactly as the hit system does, a "miss" would be something breaking, a "graze" would be failing to open the lock, and a "hit" would be opening the lock. That way, the result is still determined by a RNG, but the PC has to gamble against losing a valuable(and expensive!) tool if they repeatedly try to open a chest that is almost impossible with their skill level.

See, I'm actually quite cool with that idea. I just would prefer that such things were somehow visually represented. Just like Combat. You don't pick various abilities and things in Combat, then just let a bunch of numbers roll in the background while you pretend something's happening on the screen. "Well, that enemy's either going to die, or he isn't, depending on the effectiveness of your attacks and abilities." You don't just use a Fighter's Kit on an enemy in combat.

I just think things are OVERLY simplified, as they are. I'd like them to be treated in the same manner combat is treated (Actually let you pick different Thieves' Tools to use on different locks/mechanisms, and have the various tools that are available, and the effectiveness of those tools, be up to your character's skill/purchased items). This does not mean I want a lock to fight back and take up to 5 minutes to bypass.

And the better your character's skills, the more/better indicators you have for what works with what, or the more effective things become (i.e. one tube of acid can be used to melt through 3 mechanism pins instead of 1, etc.).

I think people would be surprised if a system was actually very well thought-out for this. They'd be expecting Bethesda lockpicking, then they'd get something that's actually kind of tactical and fun, like micro-combat or something.

A good example of how this can be done is the Hacking in Shadowrun. It's like bizarro combat, and it's WAY more interesting than just "Did you roll a 27? You need a 27. You did? *click* YOU WON!"

Again, though... I realize ShadowRun has the virtual reality Matrix that easily allows for mimicking combat, itself. I'm not asking for that literal design in P:E. Just the same interactive treatment of things like lockpicking and/or crafting. And yes, I like to explore the possibilities. Sue me. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u