First-Person for travelling ala SSI games (to see the sky)

a first person mode only for travelling (NOT in combat) would greatly add to the overall mood of the setting.

top down is perfect for combat and NPC-dialogue (portraits are a MUST, as 3d is ugly when zoomed in) but never be able to see the sun and sky feels like youre moving around in a puppet theatre.

I like this idea in principle, but I think it would take far too much dev / artist resource to implement. FMV prerendered cutscenes are better, as they also show us the characters in more detail, not just the world (can also be farmed out to other artists without taking time from the main dev team).

Edited by Starglider

Not going to happen in a CRPG aiming to follow the IE mould, and i'm fine with that.

First person works well for some RPGs, but not others.

Also, shhh! People who grew up on late 90s RPGs like Baldur's Gate often like to pretend that those games started it all, and that first person perspective in RPGs is some new devilry brought about by FPS games. Talking about older RPGs from the 80s that had first person perspective will boggle their minds.

Edited by Piccolo

Not going to happen in a CRPG aiming to follow the IE mould, and i'm fine with that.

First person works well for some RPGs, but not others.

Also, shhh! People who grew up on late 90s RPGs like Baldur's Gate often like to pretend that those games started it all, and that first person perspective in RPGs is some new devilry brought about by FPS games. Talking about older RPGs from the 80s that had first person perspective will boggle their minds.

It has been many decades since the 80's and games I played back then but if I recall the first time I saw first person perspective in games was text based adventure games. The kind with text based UI at bottom of the screen (commands like N=North W=West and such) plus line of sight images top of the screen.