I was actually a fan of the 'Epithet' system in NWN2, where things were attributed to your character after having completed a certain story quest. They were a good way of giving me a reminder of what people thought about me, and if expanded could be a really cool addition to the game.

Say something like 'Conquerer of the Marsh Lands' after using force to subdue a region into following your banner. Everyone in the Marsh Lands would know your name and recognise who you were because of what you did, and that epithet could create different dialogue choices and interactions within the region in which it was gained. Likewise a 'Prince of the Marshlands' epithet could be used if, instead of using force, you decided to marry into the royal family and gathered an army that way.

It could be expanded into a regional thing, where different factions know of you in different ways. Say, for example, that every faction in the game starts out with you being 'unknown' and then from there as you complete quest-lines and things, you can gain other epithets that effect how those factions view you.

They could even be the same epithet that results in different things - - eg the Thieves Guild facion may see your epithet as 'Sergeant of the Town Watch' (- to dialogue, + to prices from fences) and the ordinary townsfolk of the region may see the same epithet 'Sergeant of the Town Watch (+ to dialogue, increased chance of quests, - to prices from merchants). ... at least until the Thieves turn you and your epithet with them changes to 'Corrupted Sergeant of the Town Watch' and you get bonuses from each for as long as you remain undiscovered.

In PS:T they worked out something similar, although instead of 'epithets' TNO could upgrade his tattoos based on having completed certain sections of the game, but I don't think there was as much regional reaction to the tattoos as there could potentially be from a system like this.

I'm all for game mechanics that provide additional levels of depth and also let people roleplay the way they want - - with a system like this, that can check for certain epithets and alter the flavour of dialogue to suit, I think the replay value of the game increases.

What do you guys think??

• Like 1

This topic has already been discussed during our little conversation about achievements. Simply speaking, something along the line of titles found in Arcanum would be ideal, although in this case the world around us should acknowledge such titles, adressing the player as appropriate (of course, taking into consideration which groups, nations or races would see it as appropriate/astute to choose a particular one). After all, if we get the title "Elf Slayer" both elves and dwarves would use it, although with a different mood, right?