The NHL Thread.

Rosbjerg

Hooray I have somewhere to post on Obsidian again! Can't wait for the season to start. Shame there won't be very many out of conference games, but I can't say the shortened season will hurt Brodeur and some of the older Devils (Elias, Sykora...)

LEAFS WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP, I CAN FEEL IT

With 11 million tied up on the blue line in just Phaneuf and Komisarek? I just don't that happening.

Oh, and Volourn, bosses don't usually fire people for doing their bidding.

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

Ha! Indeed.

Seriously though, it all depends on the players adjusting to Carlye's system.

Scoring goals wasn't a problem. They were 10th in the league last year. They were also 29th in goals against.

I don't know if Reimer is the answer. It's possible it was just a bad year, sophmore slump combined with the concussion. It's also possible that his hot half season debut the year before was a fluke. Time will tell. And while Luongo would be an obvious upgrade... I just don't know if he'd A) come to TO and B) is what the team really needs. Of course, if he does go to the Leafs, I think he'd certainly want to prove something considering how things wound up in Vancouver.

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

I'm really surprised by the timing of this. Not disappointed but surprised. He was never the saviour so many Leafs fans claimed he'd be but I thought the new ownership would see how the team fared this season.

Will be interesting to see if the Leafs trade for Loungo, and if they do, if he keeps being entertaining on his "unofficial" twitter account. And if he implodes like most goalkeepers seems to do when they play for the Leafs (same thing applies to the Flyers as well).

"Oh, and Volourn, bosses don't usually fire people for doing their bidding. "

22 owners wanetd to accept a NHLPA offer 2 months ago. But, as we all know, these billionaires are beyond retarted, and actually agree to give Buttboy all the power. He only need 8 cronies to agree with them.

The NHL is a joke, and it is run horribly. They lost billions of dollars that they'll never get back. LMAO

What's funny is they thopguht they'd break the union. That was Bettman's goal, and he failed. EPIC FAIL.

What's funny is that the piayers are still going to make millions, the fans are still going to pay out fot heir butt, the owners will brag about how successful the contract was, and 8 years from now Buttman or his self picked successor will start whining how this was a horrible contract and they need to steal mroe from the players.

And, stupid fans will still side with the billioniare owners over the millionaire players out of sheer spite and jelaousy. PATHETIC.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As much as I would like to throw on my stone face and boycott the NHL this season, I already have tickets to the Devils home opener against the Flyers. Can't wait to watch hockey again, feels like ages and my team was actually in the Finals so I can't imagine how non-playoff teams felt.

48 games in 98 days? There's going to be a lot of injured players this year.

I've noticed a bunch of strange nuances that come with the shortened schedule too. Devils play the Capitals twice in less than 24 hours, both games in Washington. And they don't go to MSG to play our Atlantic Division rival until the very last game of the year.

Edited by Krookie

Scott Gomez told he won't be playing this year.

I have mixed feelings about this. His contract was really based off of his one really productive year and he was never going to be able to live up to that. His drop in offensive production after his first year in Montreal just made the situation even worse and with the cap going down you really can't afford to spend 7.3 million in cap hit on someone that would be receiving 3rd line minutes at most.

That said, he was by all accounts a great team guy. I don't recall once hearing anyone except the fans complain about him and that was solely down to his production. He's still an NHL caliber player and even if his stats weren't great, the Habs were a worse team without him when he sat out with injuries last year. If we could somehow get him back on the team with a more appropriate contract, I'd go for it, but I believe you are prohibited from buying out players and then immediately signing them to a new contract.

I understand why they are having him not play this year. You can't buy out injured players and based on his last season with his groin and concussion problems it isn't to hard to see something happening again this season with the compressed schedule. It's purely a business decision. :/

Edited by Deraldin

I blame the teams. Not him. Rangers over paid for him, and Montreal is even worse since they went out and traded for him knowing ful well his salary and his under production. It's bull they are forcing him to simply sit out an entire season. The NHL(PA) should be forcing Montreal to release him if they aren't going to play him.

Knowing how this works, if they get by injuries, they'll call him back and if refuses to play he'll be labeled trash while teams get away with this kind of crap. Disgusting!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I blame the teams. Not him. Rangers over paid for him, and Montreal is even worse since they went out and traded for him knowing ful well his salary and his under production. It's bull they are forcing him to simply sit out an entire season. The NHL(PA) should be forcing Montreal to release him if they aren't going to play him.

Knowing how this works, if they get by injuries, they'll call him back and if refuses to play he'll be labeled trash while teams get away with this kind of crap. Disgusting!

They won't call him up, even if they have injuries. That would defeat the purpose of having him sit out in the first place.

They are more desperate to get his contract off the books for when the cap goes down next year. If there was any chance of him playing this year, he would be on the team to start the year. They aren't going to risk him getting hurt and preventing the buyout.

With the exception of a high end 1C, center is not a position that Montreal is hurting for. Desharnais and Plekanec can handle 1C time, Eller can handle 2C. Beyond that you have White, Nokelainen, Leblanc and Galchenyuk. The only center position they would have trouble filling, would be one that Gomez wouldn't be able to handle anyway.

His contract will still count against the cap for this year, I'm pretty sure. I'm glad the CBA got rid of the burying of contracts in the minors. Make teams accountable for their horrendous decisions.

If anyone is to blame for this fiasco, I'd say it's Glen Sather.

Gomez and Wade Redden can play tonnes of video games with each other online now.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.