Path of Exile

Nightshape

Actually, looks like a persistent Diablo clone with completely unoriginal classes and skills. Pass.

likewise, but hey - its good to share.

I do like the art

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

• 1 month later...

I actually signed up at their forums some days ago for a chance to win a beta key. No luck so far.

Right now I have this strange craving to play simple hack'n'slash games. I don't know why.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Actually, looks like a persistent Diablo clone with completely unoriginal classes and skills. Pass.

The game has a lot of the same structure (Acts, waypoints, etc) and of course the classes are similar to the way all such games are (there's always a mix of melee, mage, ranged, paladin or hybrid and/or thief in most fantasy rpg's, not just Diablo-clones). There's enough differences to make it interesting to play for a while. But as usual nothing in it is going to make anyone who dislikes hack n slash games like hack n slash games, however. :o

Played a Duelist to lvl20 so far. My main two issues with the game on a personal level is that as currently implemented, combat becomes rather tedious/boring after a while. I mean, I know all D-clones are grind-fests and all that, don't get me wrong, but even within that definition it didn't take long for me to feel a little bored/annoyed that every step I take I'm attacked by 8-15 enemies. It feels a little too same-y all the time, at least when playing solo. And I don't like the combat-skill selection overmuch, tho it does work fine.

Not supposed to post pics or go into details since of course it's all subject to change but here's my first thoughts:

--potions that recharge during combat are pure genius and much better than floating orbs ala Diablo3. They're only active while in one of the belt slots (can't keep spare full ones in inventory) and the rate of recharge still creates a challenge in the harder fights, since you can easily use them up and be left with nothing.

--The passive skill tree, which has nothing to do with the gems/skills - Holy Gigantic Endless Interconnecting Honeycomb, Batman! It leaves an impression. I'm sure it'll change a lot but still...holy carp. Fascinating and nothing I've ever seen in a D-Clone.

--not sure I like the skill gems. Interesting in theory and it works "well enough". I'm just not sure I like it, at least the way they've implemented it at the moment.

--For me, the item system as a whole doesn't feel very long-term interesting or loot-hunt addictive since it's mostly so connected to the skill-gem socket thing. It's kinda interesting at first but meh...figuring out how you want to do the passive skill tree is, for me, more motivation to kill-grind than the items. So far.

--melee targeting (especially close up) is rather terrible & feels sluggish. Most of the time I'm just flailing away at my feet hoping I'll hit something. It works/I've survived as a dual-wielding swordsman, but ranged targeting is definitely so much better/easier.

--no gold is nice, even if the item barter amounts to sort of the same thing. It makes those ID scrolls & other small things worth something...and they don't drop a ton either. Means you don't fill up your limited backpack very rapidly & can stay out in the field a long long time if you want. On the other hand, it means you have little reason to even look at/pick up 98% of anything...let alone use a precious ID scroll to ID anything that isn't a rare with the exact sockets you want.

Basically, if you like Diablo type games, you're likely to like this one for a spin or two, especially since it's free. It's graphically decent, has some interesting elements along with the same ol' same ol', and if you're unhappy with D3 (for whatever reasons) this could be a substitute for you. We'll see. Still early. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Forgot...if you do get in the beta to check it out and get the below glitch effect (the banding stripe at the top of the screen), perhaps also along with some strange screen jitter-jump during combat, turn off Post Processing in the options. Or some people had to turn AA off entirely. Just turning off PP worked for me tho, and I still get the AA at least.

postprocglitch2.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts