How about making a Pathfinder CRPG?

ramza

Do you want Obsidian to make a CRPG using the Pathfinder rules and/or universe?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Obsidian to make a CRPG using the Pathfinder rules and/or universe?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't mind

It seems that there won't be a CRPG using the d&d franchise in the foreseeable future, so I have been wondering why no one is thinking of making a CRPG using the Pathfinder rules and universe. The idea was suggested on these boards some time ago but got dropped at some point. The Pathfinder system is very interesting and quite innovative. It would be a shame not to use it for a computer game. With the genre's decline, I am sure it will become a blockbuster if done the right way.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

1) am thinking that license issues preclude likelihood.

2) am wondering how much ap hurt obsidian.

will be interesting to see what is next obsidian move.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The point of doing a licensed game is to have a shortcut into the minds of your target audience-- you get free niche media coverage, and potential buyers understand very quickly whether they may be interested when you say Winnie The Pooh: The RPG.

I'm nerdier than the vast majority of people who I meet in a given day, and have no effing clue what the Pathfinder setting or ruleset is about. It's just too obscure to be a desirable enough license to pursue. (Granted, the same argument could have been (and no doubt was) made about Planescape back in 1998 or so, but the threshold for success in terms of sales and products shipped is far far higher nowadays.) If Obsidz is going to scrape so close to the bottom of the barrel, they should just go for another original IP.

The point of doing a licensed game is to have a shortcut into the minds of your target audience-- you get free niche media coverage, and potential buyers understand very quickly whether they may be interested when you say Winnie The Pooh: The RPG.

I'm nerdier than the vast majority of people who I meet in a given day, and have no effing clue what the Pathfinder setting or ruleset is about. It's just too obscure to be a desirable enough license to pursue. (Granted, the same argument could have been (and no doubt was) made about Planescape back in 1998 or so, but the threshold for success in terms of sales and products shipped is far far higher nowadays.) If Obsidz is going to scrape so close to the bottom of the barrel, they should just go for another original IP.

pathfinder is popular 'mongst the pnp rpg crowd, but am betting that it is unknown to a vast number o' crpg gamers... folks like enoch. additional problem is that it utilizes the wotc OGL. pathfinder is a nifty setting and rules d&d rules variant, but am not seeing any way for it to be getting the obsidian treatment anytime soon.

as for a new ip from obsidian, is too bad that ap were underwhelming. coulda' resulted in money And freedom... which is what every developer desires, right?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I will confess that, although I'm not a total stranger to the hobby, I went a good dozen years without a pnp gaming group prior to 2010. Still, if a license's appeal is limited to an audience nerdier than I am, it really doesn't have much hope of getting the funding necessary to develop a AAA video game together.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely! Fresh new setting, more balanced and interesting classes, plus they will not be bothered by anyone. The only downside I can think of is that that there no/few Prestige Classes. And if we get multiplayer and a toolset like NwN2, this will be nerd heaven.

I will confess that, although I'm not a total stranger to the hobby, I went a good dozen years without a pnp gaming group prior to 2010. Still, if a license's appeal is limited to an audience nerdier than I am, it really doesn't have much hope of getting the funding necessary to develop a AAA video game together.

Pathfinder RPG is actually fairly big in the PnP market (though admitedly, the PnP market is by no means huge). Although I think that comparisons with D&D should be taken with a grain of salt, this is at least indicative of the fact that it is a significant player in PnP: http://cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2011/01/p...ngeons-and.html Of course, the link provides a comparison with 4E, which has apparently not been doing as well as 3E/3.5E, but still.