Nothing but Co-Op

I guess the original Dungeon Siege will remain one of a kind jewel in the sand of RPG's.

I'd sure love to buy a digital copy of it to play on my netbook, unfortunately it's only sold bundled with DSII and III.

:lol: Jussi

Original DS a jewel? I must have passed into a alternate reality of some sorts...

Hate the living, love the dead.

I guess the original Dungeon Siege will remain one of a kind jewel in the sand of RPG's.

I'd sure love to buy a digital copy of it to play on my netbook, unfortunately it's only sold bundled with DSII and III.

:lol: Jussi

Original DS a jewel? I must have passed into a alternate reality of some sorts...

Did you ever play the game when it had an active multiplayer and modding community?... There wasn't really anything like it at the time, and even now there really aren't many RPGs that have the constantly changing modding community that it had. =P

Edited by hopfrog16

BG2, NWN1, Morrowind are just examples of some great modding communities. BG2 was insane in its longevity and level of skill, NWN1 in its size and variety, etc. In all cases also doing a lot of crazy things like pretty much implementing Guitar Hero style combat in NWN...

DS never really made a wave in general as far as its modding scene went, so it's interesting to hear that people who did enjoy the game had a lot of things going on. I doubt we'll have a huge amount of modding support this time as it's the Onyx engine's first debut and they're not getting 4-5 years, but hopefully things can still be done.

BG2, NWN1, Morrowind are just examples of some great modding communities. BG2 was insane in its longevity and level of skill, NWN1 in its size and variety, etc. In all cases also doing a lot of crazy things like pretty much implementing Guitar Hero style combat in NWN...

DS never really made a wave in general as far as its modding scene went, so it's interesting to hear that people who did enjoy the game had a lot of things going on. I doubt we'll have a huge amount of modding support this time as it's the Onyx engine's first debut and they're not getting 4-5 years, but hopefully things can still be done.

I never knew that BG2 or Morrowind had much of a modding community (since I never did play those games until after the fact), but I did play quite a bit of NWN1 multiplayer, and was into that modding community... That was some of the best non-MMO (although some of the servers did get pretty massive... one I played on had I think a max of 255 people who could play at once) multiplayer I had ever played, so I at least know where you're coming from in that game, heh. =)

It sounds to me like you didn't play this game during the time people were modding it actively. There were a ton of websites you could go to when you wanted to find new mods. They are almost all pretty much gone now, which is sad, but Siege Network is still around if you want to see what one of them looked like. The mods on this one are all still there, too.

http://www.siegenetwork.com/ (interestingly, it seems some people still use the forum for this long dormant website, heh)

There were several websites like this one, each with different mods (although some of the more popular ones were redundant on every website). A website like the one above would be releasing at one point 1-3 mods, maps, mini conversions, editing tools, and siegelets every week. With all the websites there were you would be getting a new mod every other day. Many of them were just player created maps. Nothing too special, but you could use your multiplayer characters in them, so you could always have a new place to adventure with friends using your characters. Then, there were the seiegelets... These were new worlds that could be totally converted into a different game. Some of these were so different, that some people that didn't even like DS would love playing one of their siegelets. NWN1 did this too, but where DS1 differed is that the rule set could be changed. NWN1 could only use the D&D rule set, and even though many of the player created worlds would be drastically different, it never felt like you were playing a different game or were having a very different experience (at least that was the way I felt when comparing the user created worlds of both games). That being said, I liked some of the things that the mod community for NWN did better than DS too (like the community created expansions.... such a great idea). =) As far as modding communities go, I think they were both equal.

After the multiplayer died, the modding died too... No real reason to play the game if you can't play it with friends. I feel that if the multiplayer was still around, people would still be modding this game today (even now people try to set up hamachi communities for DS... I've tried joining one... it isn't the same). =P I'm sure that it seems that the game didn't really make waves when you weren't there when it was active, but seeing as I didn't really play BG2 untill just recently, I don't understand the modding community it may or may not have had either. =P

Edited by hopfrog16