Need help ~ Severe game issue.

Ok so its been a wile since i last played kotor2 in fact its been a few years but the cd's are in the same condition as when i bought them so i said..... why not play it again since it was by far one of my favorite rpg's so i go install the game no issues thus far, then i get to the main menu. the main menu looked rather wierd but i haven't played the game in a wile so i wasn't sure if it was just like that or if there was a issue.

(the title screen i'm talking about)

picture1myb.png

so i just continued on and clicked new game.....

then this happened...

picture2ek.png

confused and worried i reinstalled it thinking it was a problem with installation.

it was not that...

so i then tried to just continue on past then game and maybe its just that part of the game that's bugging up.....

boy was i wrong.... the entire game was like this....

picture3gx.png

i couldn't see anything at all and when i sought help from guides/forums ext... trying to find any clue as to why this happened and a possible solution my search came up empty. so finally i came here. to see if any one can enlighten me to the cause of this problem and a solution.

~Dilloc

long time fan of the kotor game series.

Wow, wierdest bug ever!

The main menu is NOT supposed to look like that... Never seen or heard of something approaching that before.

Have you already successfully played the game on the very same PC you're using now?

After a quick search, I found someone who encountered the same problem (the models not appearing during character creation), he fixed it by disabling "Vertex Buffer Objects" in swkotor.ini

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203183

I don't know if this'll help you with the rest, though. As usual when you face this sort of problem, update/reinstall your graphics drivers.

As for the main menu, it's just bizarre. You're not using a mod, are you?

Edited by Togruta

Don't just re-install, but clear your drive of the entire folder that's left over after de-installation, it probably contains traces of half-installed/de-installed mods, which cause these issues.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

ive had this pc for over 10 years now.(same pc for when i first got this game, nothing has changed since i first got the game and the game used to run perfectly with no errors at all. this just started after i tried to run the game after a long time.

**EDIT**

ok so i tried all your options you posted and still bug the same issues.... hmm ....

(additional info about the pc):

O:Win/XP[Home Edition]

type: dell(Dimention 4700)

Vcard:ATI Radeon X300

Edited by Dilloc

ive had this pc for over 10 years now.(same pc for when i first got this game, nothing has changed since i first got the game and the game used to run perfectly with no errors at all. this just started after i tried to run the game after a long time.

**EDIT**

ok so i tried all your options you posted and still bug the same issues.... hmm ....

(additional info about the pc):

O:Win/XP[Home Edition]

type: dell(Dimention 4700)

Vcard:ATI Radeon X300

as to the comment regarding "mods causing this issue" i have not used mods on my kotor game, besides i just installed it again after a few years so there was no folder till i did the install.

**EDIT**

oops i intended for this to be a edit to the above post x.x and cant seem to delete it.

Edited by Dilloc

Well, Kotor uses the registry so, if there have been two installations of K2 in two differents dir, and a try to use the oldest dir, there may be some inconsistencies.

Do what HH said for all Kotor dir installation.

Do a registry cleaning with a tool like CCleaner (a free tool)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Do a partition optimisation with, in this order :

Contig (a free tool from Sysinternals - use its "Power Defragmenter GUI" otherwise it's a command line tool) - Use the two pass mode and wait. This will defragment files but will not reorganise free spaces.

Sysinternals was acquired by Microsoft

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-en/sysinternals/bb897428

After that, use the standard XP tool (Partition (C:\ or D:\... > Properties > Tools > Defrag). This will move files in order to have free spaces in the largest fragments as possible.

TTLan

Note :

Edit posts can be done only during a few minutes. After that, as they have been read by others, it's better to (and, on this board, you must) add a new post otherwise your edit will not be seen.

Edited by TTLan

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, wierdest bug ever!

The main menu is NOT supposed to look like that... Never seen or heard of something approaching that before.

Have you already successfully played the game on the very same PC you're using now?

After a quick search, I found someone who encountered the same problem (the models not appearing during character creation), he fixed it by disabling "Vertex Buffer Objects" in swkotor.ini

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203183

I don't know if this'll help you with the rest, though. As usual when you face this sort of problem, update/reinstall your graphics drivers.

As for the main menu, it's just bizarre. You're not using a mod, are you?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I recently reinstalled KOTOR2, and I was having exactly the same problem as the OP. Adding "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" in the Graphics section of the .ini file resolved the issue for me. It only took me 3 hours to find a fix, bah. Google wasn't much help.

PS Thanks, Obsidian, for the wonderful KOTOR2 and the equally entertaining New Vegas...