Cannot remap some keys

otherone

Question

I cannot remap keys X or C in this game(and perhaps more, those are the only ones I've tried that haven't worked but I haven't tried all keys). This is annoying, as I alwyas use DXCV instead of WASD. I was ready to live with this until I saw that my roommate COULD remap these keys. The only difference between us is he got the steam version and I got a boxed version. And I'm very aggravated that this difference exists between the two delivery mediums. I'm hoping there is some way to make my version behave properly and let me remap these keys.

Thanks

11 answers to this question

Odd, it's more likely its just a bug with your version rather than a boxed version issue.

Did you try using the ini to directly change bindings? My Docs/Alpha Protocol/APGame/Config/APInput.ini.

Odd, it's more likely its just a bug with your version rather than a boxed version issue.

Did you try using the ini to directly change bindings? My Docs/Alpha Protocol/APGame/Config/APInput.ini.

Yup, I did try that. I edited a few different entries where I saw WASD and none of them resulted in an actual binding change...although it's possible I missed one. Do you happen to know the specific key and/or section I need to edit?

Thanks

IIRC the section which needs to be changed is the bottom one (APPlayertInput). You would need to make sure there aren't duplicates there though (ie X isn't assigned to two actions)

I've remapped X and C as I use the Looking Glass WZXC rather than WASD, and it has worked fine except for conversations where it is still S for 'down', but I mainly use the arrow keys for convos.

IIRC the section which needs to be changed is the bottom one (APPlayertInput). You would need to make sure there aren't duplicates there though (ie X isn't assigned to two actions)

I've remapped X and C as I use the Looking Glass WZXC rather than WASD, and it has worked fine except for conversations where it is still S for 'down', but I mainly use the arrow keys for convos.

Thanks for the info. I just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. I changed the values in that section and made sure there were no duplicates. Then I loaded up AP, got past the intro movies to the main menu and then alt-tabbed out and checked the APInput.ini file again. And it turns out the file had *already* reset to the previous values automatically. I don't understand this, what's the point of keeping these values here if they're overwritten by somewhere else? I even tried emptying my temp directory in case it was pulling from there but that didn't work either....

The game folder also has default .inis, though it makes zero sense to me that the default should override the player inis, yeah.

Maybe delete profileoptions.dat in My Docs to pretend it's a fresh start for AP, and lock the .inis as read-only?

Maybe the Vista security center? From what I recall it likes nullifying changes in .ini files...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Some ini's do revert to default unless you set them as Read only in the file properties (eg baseengine.ini).

The reason you can't use these keys in the remap menu is because the functions they are associated with cannot be remapped (x-weapons radial, c-skill radial, z-gadget radial)

There might be a couple of other, but basically if you see a control listed in the instruction manual but not on the keymapping screen, the key is locked out for remapping.

Also, while you can remap the use function away from the spacebar, I found that during the hacking minigame my new use key would not set the "left" code. Once I switched back to spacebar I could complete the hacking game just fine.

Actually, all 3 radial's do appear in the hotkey menu ingame.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The reason you can't use these keys in the remap menu is because the functions they are associated with cannot be remapped (x-weapons radial, c-skill radial, z-gadget radial)

To reiterate (and clarify), I've remapped all three of those successfully solely through the in game menu.

I'm using XP so some sort of Win7/ Vista nannying could be a possibility.

To reiterate (and clarify), I've remapped all three of those successfully solely through the in game menu.

I'm using XP so some sort of Win7/ Vista nannying could be a possibility.

Yup, and as I mentioned before, my roommate is able to rebind them in the actual game interface.

An update: I just tried to make the ini file read-only, that didn't work. Even though the values didn't change in the ini file the keys were still the old bindings. I also tried deleting the profileoptions.dat file and that also did nothing. So I guess I'm a little stumped. I've literally changed EVERY config file I could find in both the AP game directories and the mydocs profile directories and none of them seem to be where the game *actually* stores keybindings. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?????