Dialogue not playing

Oner

Question

Randomly in the game, "minor" dialogues don't play and the subtitles don't show up either. For example when in Taipei you have to assassinate the three defected triad guys and pick up a motivation clue, Mike and Mina don't talk.

Or for a more recent example, in Rome during the party identification mission, Mina doesn't identify the targets (the prostitute(?) and one of the guards). This one is rather problematic since it breaks the sequence and I remain locked on the target, not even able to kill him/her. Reloading save didn't help, tho I didn't try restarting the game. Yet.

Anyone else encounter this/ ideas to solve it?

Edited by Oner

17 answers to this question

Got this on the Rome party identify mission with an NPC named Peter van der Graaf. Reloading, same thing. Restarting the game, same thing.

I had that one too, but after reloading it worked for me again

Who are you "Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, mr. Thorton, Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, agent Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Michael Thorton, etc....."

"Oh the candy dish! That's right - that's where I left my keys" Heck YEAH!!

I encountered a similar bug in the Rome ruins mission, at the end, where you fend off enemies while Mina does her thing. Her final dialogue wouldn't fire, so I couldn't finish the mission. After about 5 tries, I tried not using any special abilities that slow down time, like Fury and Chain Shot, and having a reasonable amount of delay between killing each enemy. Worked out.

I'm guessing this is a scripts firing bug, which are notoriously unpredictable, and I guess I was just trying to give the game plenty of time and make sure it doesn't get confused. Problem is, there's not much you can change in your behaviour in the Rome identify mission. Maybe try identifying people in different order? Or, if you've got that far, just go ahead with Al-Bara and not bother? Hell, shoot van der graaf and see what happens...

Or, if you've got that far, just go ahead with Al-Bara and not bother? Hell, shoot van der graaf and see what happens...
Shooting causes an alarm (and I'll be damned if I pull this in a C&C game! >_<).

Going ahead with Al-Bara? How?

That mission is composed of three set-pieces: outside the front gates, where you identify 3 people, in the courtyard, where you can identify 5 (i think - it's the one where you can look at the scantily clad chick), and finally, outside the main mansion, where there are 4 (again, i think) targets. Here, one of those targets is Jibril Al-Bara - you have to look very high up, on the stone balcony.

I don't know where you get stuck, but if you are getting stuck in the third set piece, you can simply identify Al-Bara, and finish the mission. If you are getting stuck before that, though, you'll just have to hope you get lucky with reloads, or try coming back to that mission later and see if it helps. >_<

I'm stuck at the second phase, and can't come back later because this is the only mission left.

Aww screw it, I've tried again and again and my only reward was frustration. I'll come back when/if the game receives a patch, until then I'm going to project mental images of a very angry me into the mind of every Obsidian employee.

I tried to start a new Thorton to see if it was persitant and yet again. It's funny how when I got therte the First time the Michelle indetifier worked but not Van der Graaf and after I rebooted my computer neither worked. Very annoying :/

Got Michelle Costa to work again but only with max zoom on her, mid and low zoom still doesn't spark the dialouge. Peter van der Graaf still doesn't want to play :ermm:

Edited by Looter

Ok this is absurd. Here is what happened. I tried an extra 20 times to ID both the hooker and vad der Graf, nothing, ok so I try and kill them. Took me 3 hours to actually do it, because no ammount of tweaks managed to fix the retarded jerky sniper scope bug, normal mouse is ok, but both turret and sniper are just frustratingly bad. Ok after 3 hours of trying I manage to kill all the running guards so that it's not mission over, and after that... nothing, pure nothing, and I got the objective complete messege, 500Xp and a perk, and still nothing happens. I even shot the hooker then, then the TV in the upper room, both camares, and still nothing, the game remained in that state for one hour after which I turned it of and facepalmed. Ok, seriously, WTF is going on with the mission. I want to play the game and I'm stuck on a simple, point the crosshair at everybody mission, because of the games numerous glitches. I am pissed off, I love AP and want to actually play it, this is not what I payed for.

I also have the problem in the Rome mission with the sniper rifle in which it freezes on the hooker and middle guard with the audio not coming up. It's hard enough to get the sniper rifle onto a target as the sniper rifle and turrets are seriously unusable for me.

I haven't seen or heard anybody having a problem similiar to me, but when I first pick up a sniper rifle or turret to use the screen/view/crosshair moves rapidly on it's own without any movement from the mouse. If I hit Tab to go to the intel screen and then back to the game the view will stay still for a few seconds, at the very least (sometimes it will stay for good until I move the mouse then begin moving rapidy again). But if I let it continue moving on it's own it will eventually end up, I think, looking at the roof or something.

Decided to reload and head to Russia hoping that when I return I could have a solution to the problem. Almost done with all the Russian missions which leaves only Rome. I fear it will be the same when I return. Any ideas on what at least one of my two problems could be and how to fix it?