Really weird bug with my sound card...

I have this really weird bug going on with my sound card. It keeps shuffling my speakers around. I have the Soundblaster Xi-Fi with 5.1 speakers and once I have them set in the proper order, a day or so later they get shuffled around. Sounds from my center speaker is suddenly Center Right, the Left Center is now Behind Right. Behind Left is at Center. Is this a good sign I need a new soundcard or is this a driver issue, or an issue with my speakers.

ITS FRAKIN' MADDENING!

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I had the same thing happen with my Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum after I did a clean system install. After updating to the most current driver

it just went crazy. I rollback to an older driver and hadn't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

I have this really weird bug going on with my sound card. It keeps shuffling my speakers around. I have the Soundblaster Xi-Fi with 5.1 speakers and once I have them set in the proper order, a day or so later they get shuffled around. Sounds from my center speaker is suddenly Center Right, the Left Center is now Behind Right. Behind Left is at Center. Is this a good sign I need a new soundcard or is this a driver issue, or an issue with my speakers.

ITS FRAKIN' MADDENING!

Well, that's why it's called surround sound. The sound moves around.. maybe you just need a chair that can turn around? :sorcerer:

Seriously, I've got a X-Fi too; the X-Fi XtremeGamer and I used to use it with a 5.1 speaker system, but one of the outputs on the card stopped working and now I run it as 4.1. I've had problems before with dubious build qualities of creative cards.. maybe it's not dubious, but just really, really, really sensitive. I guess it's possible that it could be a hardware problem. Is it an old game, that you've switched around a lot? Does wavering your hand in the air or stomping with your feet switch the sound around?

I also know there is an Xpand option or something phasing. I can't remember what it's called, but it was pretty annoying. Maybe you need to force the card to revert to the default factory settings?

I have no idea how the boot-up numeration works or if the card performs some form of self-initialization, that shuffles the ports around, but I guess it could be related too as I guess, the change that occurs happens at boot-up. It's not like you have experienced changes when the computer was running, is it?

(Signatures: disabled) 

I also have that same issue with my speakers and soundcard when I switched to Windows 7. The speakers sound channels got all mixed up, and the front right speakers made this very weird sound.

I searched for speakers that are compatible with Win7. So I changed my speaker to Logitech Z5 speakers.