External hard drive

Walsingham

You may recall I asked a while back about hard drives, because mine is full. After consdieration I've decided to work by buying a 1 tb external drive which can hold all my media content and work etc. Only the internal will continue to be used for the OS and some processor intensive games.

The thing is there are a bajillion drives out there. I don't want a duffer. If you can recommend a candidate, great. Otherwise what key features shoudl I look for?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You may recall I asked a while back about hard drives, because mine is full. After consdieration I've decided to work by buying a 1 tb external drive which can hold all my media content and work etc. Only the internal will continue to be used for the OS and some processor intensive games.

The thing is there are a bajillion drives out there. I don't want a duffer. If you can recommend a candidate, great. Otherwise what key features shoudl I look for?

Have fun when your 1 terabyte hard-drive dies.

For data security a raid configuration would be preferable. Your data would exist on any number of drives simultaneously, and load times improve. One HDD is certainly not enough. I haven't got raid on my desktop but I keep a folder on all my drives with stuff I don't want to lose to a chance failure.

Drives are pretty inexpensive nowadays anyways.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

OK. Data security is an issue, but I'm more interested in being able to physically remove the drive when I'm out and put it in the safe. It's not a massive issue, but if I do get a break in it simplifies things considerably.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That is ridiculously backwards. If you're only getting it for backups, use an online backup solution like Carbonite or any of the other billion solutions that use Amazon S3. It's cheaper and you don't need to put anything into a safe.

Or a local remote server if you live down under :biggrin:

Edited by Purkake

The Western Digital Elements Desktop 1TB is pretty good. I use it myself and I have no complaints.

Thank you. And I can't back stuff up externally without my professional insurance going into meltdown. I'd be surprised if anyone who worked as a subcontractor could.

-Elwood Blues

Maybe I made my point already, but the integrity of digitally stored material really depends on reproduction. Leaving aside that I don't really know the particulars of your work, you really don't want to have all your eggs in one basket, these things fail all the time.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Any of the name brand drives are usually good - not sure if you have been asked this, Wals, do you want it to also act as a network drive?

I don't know what you mean. I have a second PC in my office for my assistant.

-Elwood Blues

:wowey: a fat lot of use you chaps are.

-Elwood Blues

Ach, I'm just crack wising. Ignore it.

-Elwood Blues

I went for a 1.5tb samsung story drive in the end. Good reviews across many sites, and an extra ten quid for 500gb seemed sensible. It also has built in locks which would deter the casual housebreaker from getting access to the contents. In all, good stuff. I hope.

-Elwood Blues

When the casual housebreaker goes for your files, the the digital age will finally be here.

If you are actually worried about that, get encryption, like Truecrypt. The first thing I do when I get any kind of a flash drive or HDD is format it to purge all the crap that comes with it.

Edited by Purkake