The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

jaguars4ever

I would love a sequel to The Witcher, but the linked to youtube movie makes me pause, not to say having a lot of misgivings about the direction it is taking. The cinematics, the flourishes etc. were really all the *unimportant* parts of the first one and it seems like it is the new focus of their efforts. Any more cinematics in crpgs and my breakfast is coming up again :)

That's not an entirely fair assessment. If you recall, most of the trailers for the first game were cutscenes. Some of those cutscenes weren't even in the full game or misrepresented plot elements. Not saying it was a good idea, but I wouldn't base an assumption that they're refocusing the franchise on an early trailer in this case.

PS... just watched the clip. Geralt's voice sucks. I mean, really sucks. I hope that isn't the guy who's going to voice the game itself.

I know, it sucks worse than going hunting with D1ck Cheney.

But I wouldn't worry about it. I think. Since it's just an alpha I'm hoping (praying) that those are just placeholder voices.

manthing2.jpg

I would love a sequel to The Witcher, but the linked to youtube movie makes me pause, not to say having a lot of misgivings about the direction it is taking. The cinematics, the flourishes etc. were really all the *unimportant* parts of the first one and it seems like it is the new focus of their efforts. Any more cinematics in crpgs and my breakfast is coming up again :(

That's not an entirely fair assessment. If you recall, most of the trailers for the first game were cutscenes. Some of those cutscenes weren't even in the full game or misrepresented plot elements. Not saying it was a good idea, but I wouldn't base an assumption that they're refocusing the franchise on an early trailer in this case.

I was a latecomer to the first game. Only got interested in it a short while after the "special edition" came out and most of the reputedly endless bugs had been weeded out, so I didn't see a lot of the trailers (The rumours of bugs aplenty made me not interested in the game for a long while) :down:

It was just that the narrator in the youtube video sort of kept emphasising those (for me) unimportant aspects as something they put effort and resources into.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would love a sequel to The Witcher, but the linked to youtube movie makes me pause, not to say having a lot of misgivings about the direction it is taking. The cinematics, the flourishes etc. were really all the *unimportant* parts of the first one and it seems like it is the new focus of their efforts. Any more cinematics in crpgs and my breakfast is coming up again :down:

But the cinematics were important in the Witcher, it helped to show the story and characters! I don't think the story could have so enthralling without the voice overs and the movement during dialogues.

It will be interesting to see if the developer has the courage to drop the silly cards and let the game stand on its own merits (which are considerable).

I don't see what courage has to do with this. The cards were just a gimmick to go with the reputation of Geralt as a man very popular with the ladies. It wouldn't hurt that they give it a lot less PR though. And that some fans stop saying that it is what makes that game mature. I liked the cards, but the fixation some fans have with it is just ridiculous.