Motherboard go BOOM!

Calax

It's not a virus, that much is certain given the bios still works (if you yank off all the extra parts). But I think the motherboard just gave up.

So, currently I'm looking for a socket AM2 motherboard so I don't have to re-buy both the mommyboard and the processor. Anyone got any ideas for where to get one? I think that socket has pretty much been discontinued.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

after talking with the family me and mi padre decided to get a new mommyboard

this and a core 2 duo e8200 for 210... and maybe I'll pick up another two gigs of ram (bringing me to 6 total).

If you didn't already, then you are going to need x64 Windows (or whatever OS) now :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you didn't already, then you are going to need x64 Windows (or whatever OS) now :thumbsup:

well... I'm on it now and I didn't need to upgrade windows so *shruggles*

Guest Slinky

Sorry if I misunderstood something, but if you don't have 64bit OS your PC uses only about 3 - 3.5 Gb of your memory. It's some stupid limitation in 32bit Windows. So if you want to use all of your 6 Gb memory you need 64bit Windows.

Sorry if I misunderstood something, but if you don't have 64bit OS your PC uses only about 3 - 3.5 Gb of your memory. It's some stupid limitation in 32bit Windows. So if you want to use all of your 6 Gb memory you need 64bit Windows.

*shrugs*

I donno, I think my Windows is 64 bit, my task manager says I have four gigs of memory (max for the board I purchased) runnin.

Guest Slinky
I donno, I think my Windows is 64 bit, my task manager says I have four gigs of memory (max for the board I purchased) runnin.

Then you have a 64bit windows, so you are fine.

Guest Slinky
I've got 4 gigs of ram and my 32bit XP can utilize 3.75 of it. Considering the really ****ty driver situation of 64XP i think it's a fair tradeoff.

I think it depends on how much memory your graphics card has. If you have 4Gb RAM and a g-card with 256Mb memory, usable amount of RAM is 4Gb - 256Mb = ~3.744Gb. I have no idea why it works like that on 32bit OS. And I think (I'm far from sure) a single program, like a game, can use only 2Gb memory on 32bit OS. If you have 64bit OS, programs can use all of your memory. If someone knows better, feel free to correct me.

Still, I too have 4Gb of RAM and a 32bit XP. It hasn't bothered me yet, but I will move on to 64bit W7 later this year.

Edited by Slinky