NWN2 keeps freezing

Humodour

I finally started playing NWN2 today and I was about to do the archery competition of the tutorial and the game crashed/froze. I had to restart. This is the second time that has happened. I just realised I've only got 188mb of space on C:/, so that's possibly at fault. I'll free space but I doubt it's the cause.

Also, ever since I installed NWN2 and ran it for the first time, I've now been getting these weird graphical glitches in the normal desktop environment for XP - sections of the screen being copied and moved up or down. They're intermittent and temporary, often happening when I scroll in web browsers or folders. But they're annoying and NWN2 caused them. They do not occur inside NWN2 or HoN.

My system is:

Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz

4GB of DDR3 RAM (only 3.5 GB available)

nVidia Geforce 9400 M (512 DDR3 RAM shared with CPU, so it runs off the CPU bus and is hence probably 33% slower than dedicated GPU RAM).

I've been getting some RAM errors lately, but based on error code the comp was beeping when refusing to start, those appear to have been due to dislodged RAM sticks. I pulled them out and put them back in the comp boots normally now. I am sceptical of my RAM being faulty because I've been playing Heroes of Newerth Beta - DotA inside a dedicated new 3D graphics engine - for 2 weeks now without any problems (especially not freezes requiring reboot).

Strangely, NWN2 also seems like a performance hog - requiring me to lower the graphical settings where many other games do not. But I don't care too much about graphics since what I've seen of the game so far is great fun, but it's disappointing.

I've applied the latest NWN2 OC patch.

So, any ideas? My graphics card driver version is: 6.14.11.8585

I finally started playing NWN2 today and I was about to do the archery competition of the tutorial and the game crashed/froze. I had to restart. This is the second time that has happened. I just realised I've only got 188mb of space on C:/, so that's possibly at fault. I'll free space but I doubt it's the cause.

Also, ever since I installed NWN2 and ran it for the first time, I've now been getting these weird graphical glitches in the normal desktop environment for XP - sections of the screen being copied and moved up or down. They're intermittent and temporary, often happening when I scroll in web browsers or folders. But they're annoying and NWN2 caused them. They do not occur inside NWN2 or HoN.

My system is:

Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz

4GB of DDR3 RAM (only 3.5 GB available)

nVidia Geforce 9400 M (512 DDR3 RAM shared with CPU, so it runs off the CPU bus and is hence probably 33% slower than dedicated GPU RAM).

I've been getting some RAM errors lately, but based on error code the comp was beeping when refusing to start, those appear to have been due to dislodged RAM sticks. I pulled them out and put them back in the comp boots normally now. I am sceptical of my RAM being faulty because I've been playing Heroes of Newerth Beta - DotA inside a dedicated new 3D graphics engine - for 2 weeks now without any problems (especially not freezes requiring reboot).

Strangely, NWN2 also seems like a performance hog - requiring me to lower the graphical settings where many other games do not. But I don't care too much about graphics since what I've seen of the game so far is great fun, but it's disappointing.

I've applied the latest NWN2 OC patch.

So, any ideas? My graphics card driver version is: 6.14.11.8585

Low C:\ space CAN cause problems. You might also want to make a post on the Bio NWN2 Board Tech Self Help.

I have no answer, but here goes.

I have always atleast 1gb of free space on C:. I think XP requires that much.

:ermm: Bad Krezzie bad :ermm:

There

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

It crashed a third time 1 minute into the game after freeing 10 GB of space and restarting. That's twice now when trying to save the game. Uhg.

I lowered all graphical and audio settings to the lowest values. So far It's been playing fine for 15 minutes and I've saved 4 times. If it's stable like this for a few hours, I'll start increasing graphical settings until one of them makes it freeze again.

Weird, my pc is worse than yours and never had this kind of problems (except some graphical glitches in the background when I am in character mode)...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Hmmm, am having a similar problem occasionally with SoZ at the moment, mainly when entering random wilderness encounters.

Wondering if the new patch (which I downloaded a couple of days ago) has some conflicts with SoZ.

It's not too annoying, happens about once an hour I just need to hit F12 a lot.

sonsofgygax.JPG

PS: I have patched my game up to 1.22 so the problems may come from version 1.23.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Hmmm, am having a similar problem occasionally with SoZ at the moment, mainly when entering random wilderness encounters.

Wondering if the new patch (which I downloaded a couple of days ago) has some conflicts with SoZ.

It's not too annoying, happens about once an hour I just need to hit F12 a lot.

Hmm. Apparently unless you patch in the following way you get problems: NWN2 -> MotB -> SoZ -> SoZ patch or something like that. Something about the vanilla NWN2 patches conflicting with the expansions.

Anyway, the freezes are either rare, or occur far less frequently with shadows turned off completely (since I've been able to up the textures to max with no performance problems and few if any freezes).

Speaking of graphical glitches, ramza, the only ones I get are that animal companion and familiar portraits are totally messed up. But that's a minor thing.