SWTOR

Here's an interesting video for voice acting that was posted earlier today. I thought it was pretty neat.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-3

It sounds like the amount of VO for this game is reaching pretty absurd levels. From the dialogue itself I think the game has a pretty KOTOR feel, but the combat is more difficult to say. Having said that, I think it's a pretty ambitious thing their doing, and I hope they pull it off with out making (m)any concessions. I'm intrigued if they are going to be as successful in the story telling aspect as they have indicated they want to be.

The video's a bit too heavy on 'immersion', but the voice acting is good. Also, I noticed they're using the Mass Effect dialogue wheel... can't say I'm a fan of that. Still, I'll keep an eye out on this game, it might be good.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

It's impressive. At the same time, my broadband connection struggled to make sure the video ran smoothly. What I'm worried about now:

1) How good a connection will I need to get all this full VO without it stuttering?

2) What about my PC voice? I'm far more interested in that than the NPCs.

Still, I'm looking forward to this game when it comes out in 2013 or whatever.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you probably only have one voice (the bounty hunter I believe was the PC in that case), which is a bit of a drag. Though I am guessing it's different voices for classes (sounded like the Sith was different than the Bounty Hunter).

But, at the same time, it didn't affect me in Mass Effect or Deus Ex or a host of other games. I like it for its cinematic effect.

I bounced through that video too at times too, so yeah it's a concern. I guess it depends on what type of streaming technology they get going. THere's nothing stopping the game from streaming that VO long before it happens if it knows you're going to bump into it in time. I'm not sure of all the intricacies of the MMO land. Especially if the game is anywhere near as big as they're claiming it will be.

What constitutes an ordinary MMO?

It needs others/groups to be completed, despite rumors and talk to contrary. I still held out hope (absurd as it may be), that the game could be played/completed without others, after reading the FAQ, I realized it wasn't going to happen. I didn't mean to imply that it would be crap/generic, in fact I think it will be a pretty good MMO.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif