Blackjack on the horizon

I'm pretty sure it'll be stealth based, otherwise what's the point? The quality is a concern though, given it's a brand new studio with no track record.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm pretty sure it'll be stealth based, otherwise what's the point? The quality is a concern though, given it's a brand new studio with no track record.

When I think of Thief, I think of more than just a stealth game though. For me at least. Too many changes to the base mythology of Thief 1 and 2 would make it not really a Thief game anymore, but just another stealth based game (that might still be fun).

I sincerely pray for the return of the Rope Arrow.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well lets just count Garret's arsenal Shall we? (I'm basing this mostly on the 3rd game with adding some old items from first 2)

Blackjack

Dagger

Shortsword (T2)

Short bow

-30 Broadside Arrows

-25 Water Arrows

-20 Moss Arrows

-15 Fire Arrows

-5 Gas Arrows

-5 Noisemaker Arrows

-5 Rope Arrows (T2)

Grenades:

-20 Flash Bombs

-5 Gas Bombs

-5 Oil

-5 Holy Water

-10 Health Potions

He is not really light on the arms department is he? :)

BTW playing a miser right now, only cashing in the coins and not buying or using stuff unless I absolutely have to. Also no killing or blackjacking (any humanoids) either.

Just did the clock tower mission and until now I have expended 2 or 3 water arrows, 8 fire arrows (to hunt undead in the ship) and a total of 2x4 elemental arrows shot into the pagan cocoon.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

In Thief 1 and Thief 2, your inventory was reset between missions. You could buy some new stuff with the loot you acquired from the previous mission, but I don't recall ever ending up with a Rambo-esque inventory of that sort. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Actually the game is balanced around 1 to 6 of each item per mission (6 being for things like broadheads and 1 or 2 for rare things like noisemakers, bombs etc).

The little fact that I am playing a dragon-blooded makes this list so weird. I also have a little pile worth of 20k gold sitting somewhere in my wallet in the form of gold knifes, copper spoons, silver forks, cornucopia of gems and a few full sized portraits. :)

I always use to treasure fire arrows. When you absolutely had to take something out, fire arrows were your best friend.

I'm one of the few Thief fans who really enjoyed the undead missions of the fiorst game. Mostly becasue I loved blowing them apart with holy water and fire arrows.

Good times. :)

otoh, I hated burricks and their poison clouds. gah.

Oh and I have to share this treasure with you. In one mission you need to drag a dead body to a sacrificial spot to complete a ritual with blood. Guess what happens if you bring a dead rat to the sacrificial altar instead? :)

Oh and I have to share this treasure with you. In one mission you need to drag a dead body to a sacrificial spot to complete a ritual with blood. Guess what happens if you bring a dead rat to the sacrificial altar instead? :)

What?

The ritual still happens but (I'm not sure if this part is actually related by script) I had a huge crashing noise after it and had half the map on alarm

I finally found my dusty old Thief 2 CDs and installed on the new laptop, but everything looks a bit weird (like... washed out... though that is probably to do with forcing a 1024x768x16 on a 1280x800 desktop), and there are a lot of random crashes. Ugh.

I always enjoyed playing Thief 'ironman' + 'silent assassin' - you do your very best never to get caught and to kill nobody, because if things go wrong you can get in trouble real fast. Deadly Shadows was slightly disappointing in that it was easier to run around, hide, then start again, but the game does get a bit too easy if you start killing and blackjacking to 'clear' areas.

I'm just trying to bring a little reality here. It could totally be a Thief II-level masterpiece, but then again it might not...

Just hold out for Planescape 2 - Revenge of TNO

I'd be forced to kill everyone involved in such a project

No, no it'll be great! Imagine, TNO returns as a split-personality schizophrenic struggling with various facets of himself wanting to make a comeback. During dialogues you will make use of obsidian's new DDS dialogue stance system, where the three buttons on your console controller correspond to Good, Neutral and Evil personalities. You will also be able to romance Fall from Grace and Annah at the same time, but of course it will be tasteful.

...okay, I can't go to the Codex anymore I guess. :grin:

Not very optimistic about this one to be honest. Lara's engine is nice for wall climbs and it has some basic mechanics for using grappling hooks / rappeling but the whole thing was too console streamlined in a lot of areas for my taste in a lot of areas.

Well at least we won't probably see any more city free roam levels i guess. A bad point from my perspective but a lot of people didn't enjoy the city parts in 3 so it's a bit in the middle...

I'm not saying get rid of the missions, I'm just saying keep the free roaming also, except expand it from what it was in DS. I thought the combination worked very well in that game.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I didn't like it, it was annoying as hell. I always had to bypass these silly guards every time before I could launch a new mission. I prefer the good old mission-based approach with focus on the story related stuff. I hardly care for all these gimmicky side-quest-stuff anymore, because it hardly has sufficient quality. Focused missions is what makes Thief great imo.

Focused missions is what makes Thief great imo.

I agree with this. Thief 1 and 2 were two of the only games I ever played where I found the very linear mission approach really well done. And it was. The missions were just fantastic and I looked forward to each one and what they would reveal.

Can this quality be repeated though? Wouldn't place money on it.

Focused missions is what makes Thief great imo.

I agree with this. Thief 1 and 2 were two of the only games I ever played where I found the very linear mission approach really well done. And it was. The missions were just fantastic and I looked forward to each one and what they would reveal.

Can this quality be repeated though? Wouldn't place money on it.

I wouldnt place money on anything in game development these days unless is was for them to **** something up

I had a strange thought the other day. I was thinking about which equipment you would use in a game that takes place in modern times, would they manage to give the knife real importance like they did in splinter cell, would they go really corny on weapons like you start with a 38 but you cahn ugradezors to even a Dessert Vulture, i mean desert eagle. That thought went on to become how would the Thief's world become if/when Hammerites or someone else managed to create something like modern technology, based loosely on vacuum tubes, optics and such (like fallout's technology). Then my line of thoughts went on to ponder the little facts like by the end of the 3rd game the glyphs were all destroyed and there was a looming war between pagans and hammerites and keepers had taken very serious losses. Then I remembered that glyphs were created to control the high/wild magics by the ancient keepers. And for this new circle Garret is probably going to be one of those ancient keepers.

I really don't want to see a dumb but magically gifted "New Age" thief steal some valuable old book, notice the glyphs in it, read the glyphs to activate a long lost worst case spell by Garret, transferring the old wolfs memories to the new punk. I really don't want to see such a corny story.

Need more sleep, less coffee, cronicler out.

Edited by cronicler

But it isn't the same, In Ubi game the guy accesses his gene memory, in this pile of... ideas its the old mage sending his memories in time....

Then again considering how much a renegade drifter Garret really is, I can't imagine him as a mage/magus/whatever and be willing to take over another one's body. Even if it is partially...