Fallout 3 Mods...

Greetings one and all. Since my XBox 360 has passed away I have been gearing up to play Fallout 3 on my PC. One of the main strengths of the PC games, particularly those of Bethesda since their games usually need them, I have gotten a few mods for it. The Mods I am using are:

Martigen's Mutant Mod: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3211

Ultimate Perk Pack: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1409

FOOK: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4448

Lets see how well these three work together. ;)

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The only mod I am using is one that slows leveling by slightly reducing XP rewards for combat and by greatly increasing the amount of XP required to gain new levels. Given how much combat and exploration there is in the game, I can't imagine playing without it. The default scheme must bring you to the level cap pretty fast.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hmmm... I also tried using the FOSE beta but I keep crashing with it. I am only using the Beta due to I am using the latest patch.

Link: http://fose.silverlock.org/

Another helpful mod utility is Fallout Mod Manager. It is pretty useful: http://timeslip.chorrol.com/fomm.html

I got two more mods in place that seems to be meshing well.

Karma Revamp Mod: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=839

Slower Leveling: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=97

This way I don't go on wild Karma swings based on my actions, and I don't reach level 20 before the end. The slower Leveling mod also makes the XP bonus perks actually worth getting.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The only mod I am using is one that slows leveling by slightly reducing XP rewards for combat and by greatly increasing the amount of XP required to gain new levels. Given how much combat and exploration there is in the game, I can't imagine playing without it. The default scheme must bring you to the level cap pretty fast.

Way too fast in my opinion. I want to earn my levels.

For me, I just know that if I hit the level cap before I finish the game, I won't finish the game. Without the carrot of leveling my character held in front of me, the game isn't interesting enough to keep playing through. I'm not generally a big fan of level caps for precisely that reason.

edit: If a game does have a level cap, then it should be way out of reach of what a player might reach under normal playing. FO1 had a cap but you had to farm xp big time to reach it. SO that one was OK. I think I finished my first play through of FO1 6 levels under the level 21 cap.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think that is the problem with many games today, not just Fallout 3. I mean take a look at NWN1 and 2. You were level 3 before the game even started. Level 5 before facing your first big enemy. Oblivion you level so fast, depending on your skills, its not even funny. Both KotORs, Mass Effect, and nearly every modern CRPG has way too fast of leveling. I really miss the days when a CRPG max level was 8 and if you did everything you might reach it, and it was a 60 hour long game.

Well, that lamentation is a little off topic for this thread. Oh well, back to Fallout 3. :)

I think that is the problem with many games today, not just Fallout 3. I mean take a look at NWN1 and 2. You were level 3 before the game even started.

I think it's a pretty common feeling that 1st and 2nd level in 3E are garbage, balance-wise.

I don't think so but perhaps that's just me.

I think that is the problem with many games today, not just Fallout 3.

I agree. It was not my intention to single out FO3, it's been an ongoing problem for as long as crpgs have been around. I never finished Baldur's Gate for the same reason, (I hit the cap before I even entered Baldur's Gate) and that was long time ago.

Level caps are generally a bad idea.

But this mod I am using for FO3 is really really helpful. :)

KK< what do your mods do, btw? Some of them aren't immediately obvious.

I think it's a pretty common feeling that 1st and 2nd level in 3E are garbage, balance-wise.

ToEE was the last game I played that handled the first couple of levels really well. You found yourself scrounging around for bludgeoning weapons just to crack apart skeletons. And ghoulish paralysis was a great threat.

Most NWN mods seem to be a race to the epic levels unfortunately.

KK< what do your mods do, btw? Some of them aren't immediately obvious.

That is why I provided links to them. :)

The Karma Mod makes the shifts in Karma a little more realistic. Instead of a few short good or evil deeds that pushes you to Saint or Devil, it takes more constant behavior to shift to the extremes.

The Slow Leveling mod is pretty what you have, Crash, but it only effects the amount of experience to level. It doesn't lower combat or quest XP, it just expands how much experience needed to gain each level by a huge chunk.

FOOK adds in a lot of material. New guns, new sounds, new armor, new textures, a crap tone of stuff. MMM does the same but it focuses more on critters and NPCs that you meet and fight. Adds a new super mutant type, and diversifies the critters so there are less repeated looks.

The Ultimate Perk Pack brings in about 100 new perks. SOme are granted based on what you do in game, others are granted by completing specific quests, with the rest being chosen as normal.

FOOK adds in a lot of material. New guns, new sounds, new armor, new textures, a crap tone of stuff. MMM does the same but it focuses more on critters and NPCs that you meet and fight. Adds a new super mutant type, and diversifies the critters so there are less repeated looks.

The Ultimate Perk Pack brings in about 100 new perks. SOme are granted based on what you do in game, others are granted by completing specific quests, with the rest being chosen as normal.

Thank you for the decsriptions, KK. :)

These 2 sound interesting. I might try them once I finish the game for the first time.

The perks in the default game are really pretty bland. I've been taking mostly skill increasing perks, because none of the others are particularly interesting, at least up to the level 7/8 area where I am currently at.

I finished FO3 at about level 17 or so. I did plenty of sidequests. If you're worried about hitting the cap, I suggest making a push for the finish once you hit level 14 or so, then backing off after you meet

President Eden

. Once that happens, the next major quest step is the endgame.