Bioshock 2 in next PC Gamer

funcroc

Play as Big Daddy?

*Growl!* *Groooowl!* *GROWL GROWL!*

I dunno. I don't think I can feel attached to a seemingly mindless Big Daddy. As Morgoth said, its all about the people, the horror and the place you can recognise as a person, not a monster.

Play as Big Daddy?

I dunno. I don't think I can feel attached to a seemingly mindless Big Daddy. As Morgoth said, its all about the people, the horror and the place you can recognise as a person, not a monster.

Yeah. Its hard to picture playing a Big Daddy since they don't really have much of a personality. It seems like it would be kind of like playing a refrigerator and falling over on your enemies or hitting them with the door.

But, if the story of Bioshock 2 gives the Big Daddies a character, a personality, then maybe it would be OK?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It might be one of the earlier versions of Big Daddies. A more... human one.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

But, if the story of Bioshock 2 gives the Big Daddies a character, a personality, then maybe it would be OK?

If they can pull this off, I will be very impressed. For now I'll just take a wait and see stance, but the concept of playing as Big Daddy remains to be a mind boggling one for me.

Yeah. Its hard to picture playing a Big Daddy since they don't really have much of a personality. It seems like it would be kind of like playing a refrigerator and falling over on your enemies or hitting them with the door.

You're making me want to play a refrigerator, stop it!

The impression I get is "You fought them in the first game, now you ARE one!". The problem is that you already were one and it sucked...

The other problem is the age-old "YOU are special" trope. Can't you just be a regular anything without any chosen one or special crap?

Bioshock wasn't really scary, but being a Big Daddy doesn't really help either. I'd like some screens/trailers.

Play as Big Daddy?

It would be like playing Dead Space!

Did the PC in BioShock have a personality? How is playing a nameless/faceless/characterless human different from playing a nameless/faceless/characterless mutant in a suit?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I think their point is that it is harder to attribute a personality to something as inhuman as the big daddies.

Personally I think they're bitching too early since we don't know what being a big daddy is going to mean nor even that much about big daddies.

It'll be fun if they make it fun regardless of premise.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

This game is going to suck because Big Daddies are fat and no one wants to play fat people like OMG!!!

Am I the only one that thought the premise sounds kinda like an action-RTS?

It also sounds conflicted, why would the Big Daddy harvest the little sister if he is "on the hunt for a Little Sister of his own"? Kinda like the playground bully who takes another kids toy only to grow bored and smash it.

Edited by Moatilliatta

Personally I think they're bitching too early since we don't know what being a big daddy is going to mean nor even that much about big daddies.

LICE!

It's never too early to bitch.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Did the PC in BioShock have a personality? How is playing a nameless/faceless/characterless human different from playing a nameless/faceless/characterless mutant in a suit?

Yeah, that's the thing. Most PC's don't have much personality anyway. Still the Big Daddy as portrayed in Bioshock was such a zombiefied automaton that it is hard for me to picture playing it as a character.

It's similar to the Bioshock 2 devs announcing you get to play the game as a laser turret. Wheee!

This is probably what happens when you don't expect to have a sequel and suddenly have to pull one out of your ass.

3 words: Renegade Security Bot. :ermm:

Heck. I find playing as the rogue little sister far more interesting. Imagine you could use the Adam as form of hiring splicers under your command, get them to collect scrap parts to improve the Big Daddy's weapon who is your bodyguard. Take over Rapture as the little wicked Queen.

Its just like Overlord in Bioshock setting!

Yeah, that's the thing. Most PC's don't have much personality anyway. Still the Big Daddy as portrayed in Bioshock was such a zombiefied automaton that it is hard for me to picture playing it as a character.

It's similar to the Bioshock 2 devs announcing you get to play the game as a laser turret. Wheee!

Remember the little buddy laser turrets in Portal? Those had more personality than the PC in the original BioShock.

This could be a step up!

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yay for reusing enemies from the first game...

They also said somewhere that it will have co-op...

Still waiting for "Bioshock 6: Re-going back to the New Rapture" set in 2080 with lasers.

Remember the little buddy laser turrets in Portal? Those had more personality than the PC in the original BioShock.

This could be a step up!

Those turrets were awesome, they had more personality than Fontaine in addition to being cute and funny

"Turret: I don't blame you." :)

Edited by Purkake

I really hated the idea of playing as a Big Daddy when I first heard about it, but after reading that I think it will be kinda cool. I like the fact that they make the Little Sisters look less like demon-children now that you're looking at them as a Big Daddy. "Mr. B? Mr. B! You're okay!"

There's big problem, though: they will either have to beef up the splicers or nerf the Big Daddy(you). In Bioshock a Big Daddy could kill hordes of splicers left and right, doesn't look very challenging.

I really hated the idea of playing as a Big Daddy when I first heard about it, but after reading that I think it will be kinda cool. I like the fact that they make the Little Sisters look less like demon-children now that you're looking at them as a Big Daddy. "Mr. B? Mr. B! You're okay!"

There's big problem, though: they will either have to beef up the splicers or nerf the Big Daddy(you). In Bioshock a Big Daddy could kill hordes of splicers left and right, doesn't look very challenging.

If the free rez tubes are still there does this matter?

Just make the Big Daddy a totally overpowered force of ass-kicking and let it go to town on the splicers. More fun to me than playing a wimped out Big Daddy.

I think it would be a pretty boring game if they didn't change how the Big Daddy works in many ways.

Get away! The ONLY thing that is cool about the Big Daddy is the way it stomps around and demolishes everything in sight.

Turning it into some kind of fragile metrosexual would seriously suck.

I think it would be a pretty boring game if they didn't change how the Big Daddy works in many ways.

Get away! The ONLY thing that is cool about the Big Daddy is the way it stomps around and demolishes everything in sight.

Turning it into some kind of fragile metrosexual would seriously suck.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single game where you start out with a super-powerful character and just stomp your way through the game.

Maybe the other big daddies will be the real enemies? It could work if you were powerful, but really slow and with limited field of vision, but I doubt that they would gimp the trigger-happy console crowd like that.

That wasn't what I meant. :lol:

They should totally keep the special attacks (which they are doing I think) and the general Big Daddy* aestaethic. Similarly they need to keep and build on its special relationship to the little sisters in order to give the game more "meat" and make it unlike everything else out there, including the original Bioshock.

What they shouldn't do is make another game without any semblance of difficulty (it won't work twice) or where you feel that you're boxed in by what has already been established about the Big Daddy.

Did I hit a nerve or something?

*Sounds increasinly dirty every time I write it. :huh: