"How To" KOTOR 2 On Vista

This is for everyone who is having problems downloading the new mss32 file. If you have kotor1 you can copy the mss32 file from there into your kotor2 files. but be sure you still move the kotor2 one to a safe place just incase it doesnt work for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've can't seem to get KotOR II to work with my Acer Aspire 6920. I've replaced the mss32.dll file, used a new swkotor2.exe file, running it in XP compatibility mode, running it as administrator, turning the sound off, and adjusting the graphics but nothing is working. I get past the opening scene after creating a character and it says it stopped working. I read somewhere that it has problems with dual-core, but haven't found anything else on that. Is there any separate problem with that, or is it just the mss32 file? Has anybody else gotten it to work on an Acer computer?

Here's my information:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1Xgdr.090302-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Acer

System Model: Aspire 6920

BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL6

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 3062MB RAM

Page File: 967MB used, 2196 available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Edited by Hypnotic

I'm alone in my boat

Hope I can float

These floorboards are flimsy and I'm soaked to the bone

The current's so cold

The water's so stale

Where is my hope

If it's not in myself?

ok so ive read pretty much every post in this topic and im still stumped. i have a acer aspire 5610z with vista 32bit. i just got done playing kotor one on this comp with no problems and now ive been tryin to get kotor2 to work for three days.

main prob is the after char creation crash. i replaced the mss32.dll file already and i followed the list of instructions so wtf do i do?

OK. I've tried everything evrybodies put on here and my game is just not working. I realise that you have said previously that you've got a lot of forums on the go at the moment so if you could like give me your e-Mail or something I could give you all the info I've got.

I've had the gme since the 19 july 09 and i've spent practically all my spare time trying to solve the various problems i've encountered. :*

when i try to update the game i always get

Your game version is: 2.00.424 English

Pinging: swpatch.obsidianent.com

Retrieving autopatcher version information

Connecting... swpatch.obsidianent.com

The system cannot find the file specified.

Retrieving game patch information

Connecting... swpatch.obsidianent.com

The system cannot find the file specified.

Get the manual patch.

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/Kotor2.htm

The patch has been aborted

does anyone know what to do??? :(

heartless_symbol_by_tornadow61.jpg

yes darkness and light are eternal,and nothing goes on forever too, but it doesn't mean you do too

and usually if it keeps saying the appcrash message then i need to turn off the computer and wait a bit then it will work (sometimes even that doesn't work)

:(:);( ;( :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad::verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: so annoying

heartless_symbol_by_tornadow61.jpg

yes darkness and light are eternal,and nothing goes on forever too, but it doesn't mean you do too

• 2 weeks later...

there is also a nice thread at the lucas forums on kotor and vista vista fixes KotOR 1 + 2 Vista Fixes, and included on the 2nd page is a line to add to the kotor ini file under graphics "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" and that solved my kotor 2 problems, black screen at the main menue. in the thread is a DL link for several items including dx9 to run along side of dx10, mss32.dll, securecom

also suggested there is nhancer and use it to create kotor 2 profile with opengl forced to 1.4

i used forced software sound, crashed in spite of using alchemy.

• 2 months later...
And ive got plenty of spam already, hit me up.

I'm not going to send it to you but the bots who look for e-mail addresses on forums might. That's why you should post it as somethign like this: darthrevan909 [at] yahoo.com ;(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hey just found something out ladies and gentlemen.

After using this guide to install my KOTOR 2 I was still having a little trouble playing. What I actually did is put it to run on vista and non admin and it actually has been working flawlessly with the new Restored Content mod.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

Halp!

Cutscreens lock me up. Where may I just turn the damned things off at?

Also, the mss32 file link shown in this forum is a dead link and I cannot find it. Where is a fresh link please?

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done everything here, including the E-Mail. I sent one, and replyed, and am now waiting for a new file.

Before, it wouldn't go past where I clicked Game, now when I click New Game, and create my character, and load the game, it stops working and says, "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working."

Is there anything special I need to do for that?

What about Windows 7? Does it work OK there? Just checking...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

No. It won't even start.

Anyone have any ideas?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

No. It won't even start.

Anyone have any ideas?

It works in Win7 for me so far. Seems fine, except for the much-faster movement speed w/a faster PC... >.>

All I did was put a direct shortcut to the swkotor2.exe on my desktop - ie, don't run it from the CD autoplay menu - and used the compatibility 'run in XP-SP2' mode.

One issue: On my PC at least, I can only use up to 1280x1024 resolution w/black bars on the sides. The black bars may be a monitor setting I set, tho, rather than the game itself...I don't remember...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No. It won't even start.

Anyone have any ideas?

It works in Win7 for me so far. Seems fine, except for the much-faster movement speed w/a faster PC... >.>

All I did was put a direct shortcut to the swkotor2.exe on my desktop - ie, don't run it from the CD autoplay menu - and used the compatibility 'run in XP-SP2' mode.

One issue: On my PC at least, I can only use up to 1280x1024 resolution w/black bars on the sides. The black bars may be a monitor setting I set, tho, rather than the game itself...I don't remember...

Steam%20Logo.png

Edit: I'm talking about K1, btw... Don't ask why I'm talking about K1 in a thread about K2.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Ah...I haven't tried KOTOR1 on this thing yet. :ermm:

I take it the above steps didn't work for you on that one, then?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts