a configuration working for some years

Searching for benchmarks, reviews etc. Sheesh!

no, i mean:

does it know anything about comparing PC parts?

can it offer you specific answers to your specific questions?

why would we need this subforum if we could just goolgle things? I need personal suggestions and help here, not something else... :ermm:

Well, again : what is the difference between Asus Extreme EN8800GS and the Asus 8800GT you talked about? :ermm:

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

Depending where you want to buy it, give your hardware store a call or look at their homepage for current prices.
...a pal of mine works in such a job, and offered some PC parts he could get for about 80.000 Ft (/275= 291 Euro)...

...I ask the community what they think about these items, their cost, their 'power', and if I should agee to the deal in their opinion or not, thanks. :ermm:

umm... :ermm:

IB1OsQq.png

Some things worth noting:

* All the named components are about 2 years old. You'd not have an up-to-date system.

* ASRock is a brand for cheap motherboards. My girlfriend got one as a replacement for an ASUS, and it's actually better... You can get lucky with ASRock.

* The E6300 isn't on sale anymore. It is clocked with 1.86GHz, thus a rather low end processor, even if it's a C2D. If you want to play current games, try to get a better processor, e.g. a e8200 or greater.

General advice: Try an internet search site of your choice and enter

<product name> review

. Pay attention to the review date, and do read some from serious hardware-websites, not only price-grabber & co. customer reviews. Check the official website of the component's manufacturer and check for compatibility-info (e.g. does the mobo really support the selected cpu? do I need a certain bios-version?). If you want the configuration to last for several years, make sure components are up-gradeable (do current high end processors fit the mobo? how about maximum ram-capacity? etc).

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

* All the named components are about 2 years old. You'd not have an up-to-date system.

* ASRock is a brand for cheap motherboards. My girlfriend got one as a replacement for an ASUS, and it's actually better... You can get lucky with ASRock.

* The E6300 isn't on sale anymore. It is clocked with 1.86GHz, thus a rather low end processor, even if it's a C2D. If you want to play current games, try to get a better processor, e.g. a e8200 or greater.

what would be your suggestions then? ;)

IB1OsQq.png

well, the Asus Extreme EN8800GS card costs 28.300 Ft, and the Asus Extreme EN8800GT costs 42.200 Ft, so I wish to know what would be better with the higher cost-card than with the lower one, and why?

you know, I am not at all rich, so have to look at the costs a lot, but i wish to have good results too ;)

also: Asrock 4 coredual-vsta

what about it? is 'vsta' meaning it needs Vista to work?

IB1OsQq.png

Doesn't the GS only come with 256/384Mb variants? If true you'll get into big trouble with these in the future. Your card should have at least 512MB, and a chip with the G92 stepping, not the old sucky 384/640MB models.

As for the motherboard, go for ASUS. I got a P5K, which also supports 45nm CPUs and 1333Mhz FSP (or more), so that would be a great investment for the future (for upgrading) as well.

Doesn't the GS only come with 256/384Mb variants? If true you'll get into big trouble with these in the future. Your card should have at least 512MB, and a chip with the G92 stepping, not the old sucky 384/640MB models.

As for the motherboard, go for ASUS. I got a P5K, which also supports 45nm CPUs and 1333Mhz FSP (or more), so that would be a great investment for the future (for upgrading) as well.

yes, 384

but it is cheaper :ermm:

maybe you didn't notice it yet, but the last time I knew about PC specifications was when 3D Max 1 (!) was out, since then I even forgot most of the meanings of the numbers, and need to have these things explained to me like to a total idiot :shifty:

>_<

IB1OsQq.png

The thing with nVidia cards and Ram is that if the Ram is full, your game will begin to run very slow. That's why, if you want to go for resolutions beyond 1280x1024 with antialiasing, you'd better take a card with 512MB Ram. If a 8800GT is too expensive, how about a 9600GT?

What else do you need explained?

The thing with nVidia cards and Ram is that if the Ram is full, your game will begin to run very slow. That's why, if you want to go for resolutions beyond 1280x1024 with antialiasing, you'd better take a card with 512MB Ram. If a 8800GT is too expensive, how about a 9600GT?

What else do you need explained?

"45nm CPUs and 1333Mhz FSP"

this

and: shouldn't 9600 be more expensivew than a 8800? :shifty:

IB1OsQq.png

"45 nm CPU" means that the new Intel processors are made in a more advanced process using smaller structures. The E6300 for example was created in a 65nm process. Smaller structures mean possibly less power consumption and possibly faster clockable.

1333MHz FSB means that the communication between components on the motherboard (like the processor and RAM) uses this frequency. The FSB however doesn't play a large role, as it would have to be significantly faster (like 2600MHz) to bring benefits, so the next generation of Intel processors (coming by the end of this year) and their motherboards do not even have an FSB anymore (nor do AMD processors).

Regarding the graphics cards models:

nVidia chose a completely stupid naming convention, well stupid only if compared over the generations, as it does make sense in one generation of cards... They used a number, where the first part signifies the generation (currently available are 8 or 9 - examples: 8800 GS, 9600 GSO), the second part the place inside the generation (4, 5 = low end, 6 = mid range, 8 = performance to high end - examples 8800 GS, 9600 GSO). They sometimes added suffixes, but not all for all generations and places inside the generation (examples 8800 GS, 9600 GSO).

It goes like this ("<" meaning "is slower than"):

Generation 8

8500 < 8600 < 8800.

Then they added suffixes: GS < GT < GTS < GTX < Ultra.

For the 8800 GTS, three variants exist: 384, 512 and 768 MB Ram. The 512 is newer and faster than the others, except at very high resolutions and anti-aliasing options, where the 768 variant still leads.

Generation 9

9500 (do they exist already?) < 9600 < 9800.

They used the following suffixes: GSO < GT < GTX < GX2.

BUT

[*]Note that the 9800 GTX is the same card like an 8800 GTS 512 MB with slightly higher clockspeeds and a new name. It is slower than 8800 GTX at high resolutions and anti-aliasing options.

[*]The 9800 GT is the same as 8800 GT with a new name.

[*]The 9600 GSO is the same as 8800 GS with a new name.

This also means that the 9600-Series are notably faster than the 8600-Series with any suffixes.

This also means that the 9800-Series are more or less the same as the 8800-Series with the same suffixes.

That means, a 9600 GT is faster than a 8800 GS, but slower than an 8800 GT (or 9800 GT), and thus should be cheaper than an 8800 GT. If it isn't, it's definitely not worth buying. Confusing, huh? :)

Edited by samm

*TILT*... :)

At least I know where to go looking when I start down the upgrade path.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

:sorcerer: it may be worth noting that it's only part of the truth, but I feared it was more than enough information for one post in a recommendation-thread already. There are just some things left out (like the 9 series supporting hybrid power, or probably rather nVidia allowing them via driver restriction to do so). Edited by samm