"Has US abstinence policy failed?"

As with religion, sex is a personal thing and it should only be tought mainly in the family. But schools need to be there as support.

I am curious... why is sex a "personal" thing? I would have thought it a natural thing, to be tought together with biology, anatomy, genealogy etc. in biology class.

Sex ed is more about the emotional part of a physical relationship, about how one can react when the body is invaded by endorphines and/or a partners "liquids" no?

It's like... I can know a lot about car mechanics without knowing how to drive, where mechanics is to biology what driving is to making love/having sex.

I suppose it is logical to have both in the same class but should we have sex ed in bio or bio in sex ed?

Anyway my point was that parents don't do enough and rely on schools too much. Some things, like religion and sex/love should be tought within the family first, with school as support.

Parents, judging by the divorce rate, don't have a bloody clue. I know I don't know what the hell I'd tell people about not getting pinged.

Maybe this is the point we only teach the really serious "You will burst into flames and die" things like STDs and getting pregnant because it would be a lie to do otherwise.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Some things, like religion and sex/love should be tought within the family first, with school as support.

Religion should not be in school, and sex education should - I cannot see how those two things are equivalent. :p

My apologies DN.

Apology accepted, no hard feelings here - it would not be the first time someone has made a mistake. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Some things, like religion and sex/love should be tought within the family first, with school as support.

Religion should not be in school, and sex education should - I cannot see how those two things are equivalent. :thumbsup:

I can see how he got the idea, as sex and religion fall into a similar category from that perspective.

Also from my perspective, history and overview of religion(s) are a good thing to learn at school.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Religion should not be in school, and sex education should - I cannot see how those two things are equivalent. :thumbsup:

I can see how he got the idea, as sex and religion fall into a similar category from that perspective.

Also from my perspective, history and overview of religion(s) are a good thing to learn at school.

of course they are. religion is, afterall, a huge part of history.

Of course the history and overview should be taught, but those fall under history or a specific course (depending on the level you are studying) - I was talking about more dogmatic teaching. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It's an interesting comparison. I went to Sunday school as a child, and really liked it. In case it's an alien term, Sunday school is a sort of creche for Christian kids to get filled up with feelthy propaganda like helping people, and not hurting them. My boarding school also had religious affiliation, but of a more Muscular Christian type. The kind used by Gordon of Khartoum. Of course it got him killed by Dervishes.

Anyway, imagine, if you will, the equivalent bimble-headed but well-meaning stuff you'd get taught in sex-ed. Things like 'just try to be nice' early on. But when you got a bit older, smarter, nd started asking questions like "Why do girls not like nice guys?" Who knows?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But when you got a bit older, smarter, nd started asking questions like "Why do girls not like nice guys?" Who knows?

They do like nice guys, they just don't sleep with them.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell