Stargate Atlantis, SG-1 & Sci-Fi Channel Thread

walkerguy

STARGATE ATLANTIS

STARGATE SG-1

AND OTHER SCI-FI CHANNEL PREMIERS

Thread open to all fans of any sci-fi channel show, in particular the shows based off of the Stargate. Only sci-fi channel shows or programs originally on sci-fi and then moved to another network are allowed. Only intelligent, reasonable responses are allowed. You may defend your favorite show against another user (such as Galactica fan vs Atlantis fan) but try to strive for minimized insults. Also no greater-less than (<>=) as this is not well supported information. Be informed, and do NOT POST if you are NOT interested in a sci-fi show or have serious, constructive criticism to make. You are welcome to post announcements concerning your show including when it will premier on the sci-fi channel (provide time-zone data for best results). Have fun with our discussions, and stay on topic.

:o walkerguy :thumbsup:

Former Sci-Fi Thread

sci_fi_usa_logo.jpg

Twitter | @Insevin

Krezack, watch your tone and your go around of the filter system. You also make it seem as if the 'Walkerguy:' is a quote. Anyway, this is a Stargate Atlantis fan thread, not an insultathon. Take your petty script hole argument and trash it, cause everything has a script hole, plot hole, whatever. The current season is closing soon and amends will be made. It is simple sci-fi creativity to invent stories about technology that doesn't exist at the level in the story. Whether or not they do "well" at it means nothing. Beckett is also not a replicator, genious. He is a clone, poorly made. Make sure your knowledge is up-to-date. innocent.gif

Stargate isn't some holy scripture beyond criticism.

I am a big Stargate fan. In fact, I've seen every episode. But since when does that mean I have to like everything about it and suppress any knowledge of inconsistencies, errors, and plots holes?

You claim to desire discussion about this TV show, yet flame me when I do so. If you find my posts overly offensive, please feel free to put me on your ignore list. Here's the link: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?ac...amp;CODE=ignore

Anyway, I think whether or not they do well at creating stories and plot arcs based on current science and technology does mean something, contrary to your claim. I know I'm not the only one who especially enjoyed the early seasons of SG1, for example, because they used just the right mix of technical jargon, accuracy, and speculation. It made for some great technologies and plot arcs (e.g. the episode where the culture has nanites that augment their brain, but they harvest them from children - not only was this a great episode, but the technology was displayed well and it was believable). So basically I think whether or not they do well at introducing new technologies/science DOES mean something - it means atmosphere and depth. These things seem kind of important to a space opera if you ask me.

Remember how the Zats in season 1 disintegrated a person if you shot them 3 times, and the Stargate co-ordinates were based off constellations? While in the first few seasons of Stargate SG1 (for example), every technology had pre-planned consequences and/or limitations and appeared to be a real invention by a zany scientist or have a rich background in an entire culture (e.g. sarcophagus, energy staves), in Stargate Atlantis it seems more like they just pluck a cool new concept out of the air and give it to some character, only later making up limitations or consequences to fill a plot hole. I don't find there's as much of a feeling that these technologies were actually made by real people or cultures. It's like half of it is handed to them on a platter by the Ancients. There's less of that feeling of human beings struggling to understand strange new alien ideas with current earth technology (as in SG1), you know? It's like on Atlantis they just take everything for granted. It's no longer about the human struggle to figure out our place in the world. Nothing is new to them. I think that rubs off on the viewer, but in a bad way.

Heck I think a lot of it has to do with the Wraith, too. As far as enemies go, I don't find them particularly compelling (they aren't evil or motivated so much as animals/predators) - although season 4 has done a fair amount to try and improve this (hence the whole Michael plot arc I guess).

I don't know, the Wraith just seem static, unchanging, predictable. Every episode with them as the main antagonist feels like more of the same. Actually I think the Goa'uld were one of the most compelling enemies; they were selfish, manipulative, honourable, good, evil, stealthy, evasive. Basically they had many human traits, but it kept you on your toes in terms of what to expect with any episode that had them in it. And the fact that each Gou'uld was an individual with its own agenda (despite rank or power) helped make things believable. In Atlantis, each wraith is just cannon fodder for one big wraith.

I'll put it this way. Three of the episodes in season 4 that I actually thoroughly enjoyed were the one where they get trapped in a crumbling mine network, the one where John meets a space-faring culture, and the wraith attack on mid-way station. These episodes were great. They didn't need a Deus Ex Machina, they didn't pull random technologies or explanations out of nowhere, and it wasn't a unified wraith offensive; just one rogue faction that wanted Earth all to himself (seemingly).

But it's be expected; they're not the same show (SG1 and Atlantis). I have in fact significantly enjoyed season 4 of Atlantis, and it has moved from a show to watch when I am bored, to a show I actively looked forward to the next episode of. Heck, maybe it's just because I'm not a 10 year old when I watch them any more. Its been what, 10 years since the first episode?

Also, I never said Beckett was a replicator. I said it doesn't make sense that Michael replicated his thoughts, if you'll read the original post properly. How do you propose Michael recreated Carson's personality, mind, memories etc, hm? I wouldn't suggest 'genetic memory', since Carter debunked that idea in a previous episode. Actually, I'm not really a fan of Wraith mind control in general. That becomes fantasy, not sci-fi. SG1 used the concept sparingly, and only in the hands of super-powerful or rare beings.

Just a note: this isn't your thread. You started it, but you do not own it. Certainly within the forum guidelines, it would be appropriate to keep it on topic (discussion of Stargate), but you do not have any power or say over who gets to post in your thread, and whether or not they are only allowed to say about it things which you deem appropriate.

I think it's an insult to Stargate and its creators to place it above criticism. If you'll read any of the interviews of the actors and writers, you'll know that they themselves are certainly extremely critical of it (in an effort to create a better show, certainly).

Edited by Krezack

Anybody know if the Terminator TV series has been renewed for a second season? I was really getting into it, but the last 2 eps left more questions than answers.

I think my favourite episode in that season was 7, where Cameron dances. A big "in your face" to Derek. I didn't like this series at the start, but I felt it really picked up momentum at the end (without being like Heroes, which had plot holes, WTF moments, and unanswered questions left hanging every which-way). It had just enough mystery and intrigue to keep things interesting, and answered questions at an acceptable rate. Heck, I felt that even the actors of Sarah and John finally fell into their roles for the most part, near the end (6 through 9 perhaps?)

The problem with Stargate Atlantis and the latter episodes of Stargate SG-1 is that they focused more n the fiction than the science in science fiction. Prime example is with the return of Carson. I mean, I loved Carson as a character and was shocked to see him die but his return made little scientific sense to me. I mean surely cloning is plausible but to have his full memories and personality is a little far fetch for Michael to do. It made sense with the Replicators when it came to Weir due to their nature and advance nanotechnology but not Michael.

What I think is that the Sci Fi channel needs to get back to old school science fiction which the science has more sway over the fiction. Good examples of that would be like Blade Runner, best science fiction movie ever.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yes, I have implied powers to suggest what the guidelines are. This isn't a democracy. I could get a moderator to say so if you want. I am not placing any show above critisim, either. Surrender with an ignore? No. What I dont want is: ":yucky: Stargate sucks." "Stargate < Galactica" "Its really fake" and comments of the like. Constructive, smart replies welcome. You obviously think Stargate is finished with SG-1 gone, leaving Atlantis. You have little faith it will recover. As for Carson, don't say replicated as this refers to Replicators. The technology was left en masse by the ancients, and the atlantis teams moves as fast as is can to find usefuness in it, which it suceeds greatly in. The Wraith are lesser than the Goa'uld but technically the team is in Pegesus to explore and discover, not fight a war, and the Wraith, like Genii or Replicators are just in the way. The ancients wanted their works to be used again, too. They were very enthused when they found Atlatnis was safe and sound (episode with the Aurora). As I said, amends will be made with coming of the next season.

Next Episode: "The Last Man" Friday, 7 March 10pm(EST)/9pm(CEN)

desktop_01_1152.jpg

Twitter | @Insevin

Yes, I have implied powers to suggest what the guidelines are. This isn't a democracy. I could get a moderator to say so if you want.
You can nicely ask a moderator to clean up a thread because it has gone off topic, but you cannot dictate who posts in a thread and whether or not they're allowed to post criticism (I think it's implied that some level of purpose/productiveness should exist for the post). I agree that posts which are intentionally derisive, trolling or inflammatory are unnecessary, and because these fall outside the forum guidelines, a moderator will probably delete them if he feels they are causing a problem.

But moderators have more important things to do than spend their graciously volunteered time trying to cater to the whims of every thread starter who disagrees with the opinions expressed in his thread. Moderating is a tough enough job as it is; you've got to reply to the PM requests and post reports you get, check every thread in your respective forums for problems, decide how to intervene if it is necessary, cast your vote and opinion on group decisions in the mod forum, all in your spare leisure time whilst probably holding down a job, study and social life (e.g. family, friends, girlfriend).

You obviously think Stargate is finished with SG-1 gone, leaving Atlantis. You have little faith it will recover.
Yeah, I obviously think that considering I said I am really starting to enjoy Atlantis again and that I think season 4 is a lot better than the previous seasons.

As for Carson, don't say replicated as this refers to Replicators.
Uh, no. I'm fairly sure 'replicated' is a common English word meaning "reproduced, usually exactly".

The technology was left en masse by the ancients, and the atlantis teams moves as fast as is can to find usefuness in it, which it suceeds greatly in.
But don't you think that from the perspective of storytelling it ruins a lot of the atmosphere associated with the Stargate universe? Discovery of lost civilisations, ruins, artifacts, struggling to apply them to current Earth or situational problems, assessing their impact and consequences in the grand scheme of things, not having full control of the discovered technologies, etc.

When you just hand a bunch of seemingly all-powerful, all-capable technology to your protagonists on a platter, you can't tell me that doesn't interfere with atmosphere and storytelling? Granted, they've tried to devise interesting ways of limiting the power and potential of the Ancient technology (some broken, some with drawbacks, some requiring huge power amounts, etc), but I'm not convinced it fixes the problems entirely.

Anyway, despite my misgivings I still enjoy the actual show. It's not like I'm incapable of suspending disbelief. I guess I just have to change my suspension of disbelief when watching Atlantis after having watched SG1 for so long. The problem is that they are so closely intertwined.

The Wraith are lesser than the Goa'uld but technically the team is in Pegesus to explore and discover, not fight a war, and the Wraith, like Genii or Replicators are just in the way. The ancients wanted their works to be used again, too. They were very enthused when they found Atlatnis was safe and sound (episode with the Aurora). As I said, amends will be made with coming of the next season.
True that. Atlantis IS a different show, with different themes (namely exploration not war, as you suggested).

I'm sort of glad Carter won't be returning in season 5. I loved her in SG1, especially the start, but I don't think she worked that well in Atlantis. I guess maybe they need somebody who isn't all-caring, all-loving, and cares more about the protection of Earth and his own skin. With that in mind, I can understand how the Atlantis leader for season 5 is an excellent choice. Heh heh.

Speaking of suspension of disbelief, anybody know if it is true that humanoid Cylons supposedly have fibre optics in their brains? Considering human/Cylon hybrids and the fundamental uselessness of fibre optics for small-scale use, I'd be just a bit perplexed if the show actually made this claim.

But then, the show also claims that all 12 human colonies were habitable planets in the same solar system, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. BSG was always more about the drama than the science.

BSG was always more about the drama than the science.

I always thought it was who was humping who this week. Poor Adama (elder) doesn't get any action.

SciFi Channel really screwed up the rating of that show by placing it on Sunday. It was doing just fine on Friday nights.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

You obviously think Stargate is finished with SG-1 gone, leaving Atlantis. You have little faith it will recover.
Yeah, I obviously think that considering I said I am really starting to enjoy Atlantis again and that I think season 4 is a lot better than the previous seasons.

As for Carson, don't say replicated as this refers to Replicators.
Uh, no. I'm fairly sure 'replicated' is a common English word meaning "reproduced, usually exactly".

The technology was left en masse by the ancients, and the atlantis teams moves as fast as is can to find usefuness in it, which it suceeds greatly in.
But don't you think that from the perspective of storytelling it ruins a lot of the atmosphere associated with the Stargate universe? Discovery of lost civilisations, ruins, artifacts, struggling to apply them to current Earth or situational problems, assessing their impact and consequences in the grand scheme of things, not having full control of the discovered technologies, etc.

When you just hand a bunch of seemingly all-powerful, all-capable technology to your protagonists on a platter, you can't tell me that doesn't interfere with atmosphere and storytelling? Granted, they've tried to devise interesting ways of limiting the power and potential of the Ancient technology (some broken, some with drawbacks, some requiring huge power amounts, etc), but I'm not convinced it fixes the problems entirely.

Anyway, despite my misgivings I still enjoy the actual show. It's not like I'm incapable of suspending disbelief. I guess I just have to change my suspension of disbelief when watching Atlantis after having watched SG1 for so long. The problem is that they are so closely intertwined.

The Wraith are lesser than the Goa'uld but technically the team is in Pegesus to explore and discover, not fight a war, and the Wraith, like Genii or Replicators are just in the way. The ancients wanted their works to be used again, too. They were very enthused when they found Atlatnis was safe and sound (episode with the Aurora). As I said, amends will be made with coming of the next season.
True that. Atlantis IS a different show, with different themes (namely exploration not war, as you suggested).

I'm sort of glad Carter won't be returning in season 5. I loved her in SG1, especially the start, but I don't think she worked that well in Atlantis. I guess maybe they need somebody who isn't all-caring, all-loving, and cares more about the protection of Earth and his own skin. With that in mind, I can understand how the Atlantis leader for season 5 is an excellent choice. Heh heh.

Speaking of suspension of disbelief, anybody know if it is true that humanoid Cylons supposedly have fibre optics in their brains? Considering human/Cylon hybrids and the fundamental uselessness of fibre optics for small-scale use, I'd be just a bit perplexed if the show actually made this claim.

But then, the show also claims that all 12 human colonies were habitable planets in the same solar system, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. BSG was always more about the drama than the science.

I realize you said you were enjoying season four... nevermind.

As for replicating, I'm sorry I thought of the Replicators, I mean thats a queer thing to think at the mention of replicating and why thank you for your gracious dictionary links, sir. Do post links to every word my kindergarden self may not be able to understand. Aaack. Lets get back to normal discussion. This talk is over.

Well, I agree on the Carter issue. As for the ancient technology, none of it had detonators attached to self-destruct when the Ancients left Pegesus. (Which I'd be afraid of the Wraith getting it) But, even today, old Cold War bomb shelter junk is found and old abandoned technology, and other just old places and objects thats only purposes were to be used. They get abandoned and turn up later. Whether bread from 1963 is tasty is another matter, but the Stargates and other technology fit this discription I must say, of a high-tech race just using their facilities, ships, technology, e.t.c. then leaving Pegesus so quickly they can't do but abandon it all.

I don't watch BSG but as it I suppose is too dramatic, SGA is too much of a fantasy, not my personal opinion. I saw droid #6 nude on my brother-in-laws Playboy. Tricia Helfer I beleive. I don't think we should get into that however.

Well. Anyone got something to say about Asgard tech?

Edited by Fionavar
Let's just engage in constructive dialogue, let the mods worry about moderating ;)

Twitter | @Insevin

What they need to do is merge the styles of BSG and SGA and have a little more focus on the science. Firefly/Serenity style would be perfect.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

What is Joss Whedon up to?

I only ask because I can hear scuttling from behind my sofa.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What is Joss Whedon up to?

I only ask because I can hear scuttling from behind my sofa.

Joss and Eliza Dushku are doing a new series called Dollhouse next season on FOX. Tim Minear and a few other people who worked on other Whedon shows have come on board, but I'm blanking on names atm. Shows plot revolves around Echo (Dushku) an agent (known as a Doll) for a group that wipes the minds of its agents and programs them with new memories/skills particular to each mission. Echo, however, begins remembering things despite the mind wipes...

ObTopic: I actually like Atlantis better than SG-1 to be honest (but watch them in syndication so am a year or half-year behind at least). Not wild about some of the upcoming spoilers I've heard for Atlantis either.

Any word about the 3 Stargate series? Last I'd heard planning for it was scuttled by the strike...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What was Goners? And isn't there some sort of Tim Minear curse?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There's not a lot of information about Goners that I recall other than it being a supernatural thriller he was working on. Universal has the option on it and AFAIK has yet to see a draft they liked enough to green-light it (Joss has been - movie wise - in draft hell with this and the now dead attempt to do Wonder Woman).

Tim's not had a lot of success with non-Joss shows, it seems, having had several cancelled (Wonder Falls, The Inside, Drive) without filling out their run.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There's not a lot of information about Goners that I recall other than it being a supernatural thriller he was working on. Universal has the option on it and AFAIK has yet to see a draft they liked enough to green-light it (Joss has been - movie wise - in draft hell with this and the now dead attempt to do Wonder Woman).

Tim's not had a lot of success with non-Joss shows, it seems, having had several cancelled (Wonder Falls, The Inside, Drive) without filling out their run.

I quite liked Wondferfalls. But i like oddball comedy.

-Elwood Blues

Did you watch Dead Like Me? I think you'd enjoy it thoroughly if you liked Wonderfalls. They were both (co-)created by Bryan Fuller.

You know, I wonder how Atlantis would be different if it was written in the style of Battlestar Galactica, and BSG's creative head becomes Joss.

"The Last Man," Today at 10 p.m. (9 Central) on SCI FI in the U.S., and Tuesday at 8 p.m. on Sky One in the U.K.

StargateAtlantis200x113.jpg

Stargate Atlantis Season Five begins filming

Monday - February 18, 2008 | by Darren Sumner

Principal photography on the fifth season of Stargate Atlantis has begun! Today is the first official day of production on the new season of the hit SCI FI Channel series -- though the writers and much of the crew have been back at work doing pre-production for several weeks.

Joe Flanigan ("John Sheppard"), Rachel Luttrell ("Teyla Emmagan"), David Hewlett ("Rodney McKay"), and Jason Momoa ("Ronon Dex") return to their roles this year. Also joining the regular cast is Jewel Staite, who played Dr. Jennifer Keller in a recurring role last season, and former guest star Robert Picardo as Richard Woolsey.

Filming is scheduled to run through September 23 at The Bridge Studios, the Vancouver, British Columbia home of Stargate since 1997. Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie begin their second year as show-runners, and are joined by writer-producers Martin Gero, Carl Binder, and Alan McCullough.

Series creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper will also continue to be involved with the series, but are expected to be spending the bulk of their time this year developing the third TV series, Stargate Universe (story).

SCI FI has not yet announced when they plan to begin airing Season Five. Last year was the show's first fall premiere (specifically, in late September), which is certainly a possibility for Season Five. But since the writer's strike has interrupted production on the network's other programming, anything is possible.

Meanwhile, don't miss the final three episodes of Atlantis's fourth season! Stargate Atlantis airs Friday nights at 10 p.m. (9 Central) on SCI FI, and Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on Sky One in the U.K.

SCI FI eyeing summer 2008 for Season Five?

Thursday - March 6, 2008 | by Darren Sumner

With the current fourth season of Stargate Atlantis pushed to a fall premiere for the first time in franchise history, it is not hard to guess that SCI FI Channel may be doing the same with Season Five. But that is not necessarily the plan, as a number of online sources have indicated.

"Atlantis will be back for Season Five this summer (probably July)," TV Guide said this week.

Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi has also hinted to his blog readers that the network may decide on a summer premiere for the show. "The decision on the Season Five premiere date rests with SCI FI," he wrote. "However, I'm hopeful that fans won't have to wait until the fall to see the resolution of our Season Four cliffhanger."

The cable network's schedule, like the rest of television, was interrupted this winter by the Writer's Guild of America strike, which put the brakes on nearly all television production from November to February. Only Stargate Atlantis, as a Canada-based series, continued its normal production cycle.

It didn't hurt that the strike took place during Stargate's normal production hiatus. But the writers were still able to work on scripts, and filming commenced in late February, as the strike was ending.

SCI FI had reportedly planned to air all 20 episodes of Battlestar Galactica's final year, which begins April 4, through the spring and summer. But with only half of those episodes completed before the strike shut down production, rumor has it that the network may choose to hold the second half of the season till 2009.

The result is that Atlantis may be one of SCI FI's only original scripted series to have enough episodes ready to air in the summer -- an important broadcast season to the network. Even if Galactica were to return to finish up in the fall, SCI FI needs original programming for the summer months.

That slot could still be filled by summer series Eureka, which also dodged the brunt of the strike thanks to its production cycle.

Should Stargate Atlantis return to its July premiere window, fans would have to wait only four months in between seasons, rather than six to seven. But the mid-season break would likely run from September to January, as in past years.

Stick with GateWorld for official word on the new season as soon as it is confirmed by SCI FI! Learn more about Season Five in our Stargate Atlantis episode guide. Season Four goes out with a bang with "The Last Man," this Friday at 10 p.m. (9 Central) on SCI FI in the U.S., and Tuesday at 8 p.m. on Sky One in the U.K.

:thumbsup:

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

Did you watch Dead Like Me? I think you'd enjoy it thoroughly if you liked Wonderfalls. They were both (co-)created by Bryan Fuller.

I haven't seen Dead Like Me. I tend to rely on friends buying the DVDs.

-Elwood Blues

Stargate Universe? Eh?

I'm afraid I cannot possibly rejoice about a third rater getting another series when Firefly is still off the radar.

-Elwood Blues