Can't uninstall Bluetooth Driver

Arkan

Long story short:

Thought my laptop had built in BT. I installed the drivers...turns out, it doesn't have built in BT.

Went to install my USB BT device (using CD), and it says there is already BT software installed and cannot continue.

I tried to uninstall drivers, option is grayed out in hardware profile.

I can't enable/find the sys tray icon to configure/connect to BT devices.

IOGear is the brand of USB BT device.

HELP!

XP SP2

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Have you tried to manually delete the drivers and the edit the registry?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Have you tried to manually delete the drivers and the edit the registry?

I will if you tell me how. :thumbsup:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Run : Regedit, use the tree to navigate to Hkey_local_Machine ; software, look for folders and specific entries with the appropriate name.

Don't edit anything without creating a backup first. Do that by using the 'export' option.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Here's the only thing I found for the bluetooth. Do I just delete this whole folder tree?

registry.jpg

one note: it may be that you cannot uninstall your device because you do not have administrator privileges. if that is the case, then you won't be able to edit your registry, either. at least, if you manually delete the keys, they may return when you log off and back on...

that said, i'm assuming when you said "option is grayed out in hardware profile" you mean the profile you get when you go through the device manager? if so, do a quick check on your account status to see if this is the case. if you have XP, user accounts is an option in the control panel. you can change account type in there as well, though only if you are logged onto an administrator account.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

one note: it may be that you cannot uninstall your device because you do not have administrator privileges. if that is the case, then you won't be able to edit your registry, either. at least, if you manually delete the keys, they may return when you log off and back on...

that said, i'm assuming when you said "option is grayed out in hardware profile" you mean the profile you get when you go through the device manager? if so, do a quick check on your account status to see if this is the case. if you have XP, user accounts is an option in the control panel. you can change account type in there as well, though only if you are logged onto an administrator account.

taks

Yes, I'm definitely the admin on this machine.

In that case, use Export to backup, kill the registry entry, then delete everything (restart if you need). Once you have managed to destroy all files and registry entries, restart again and it should be gone.

(Also, if it's something that starts automatically with Windows, you can check out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and delete an entry for it. Uh, don't trust me completely on those foldernames though, I'm not at home and am going by memory.)

Ok. But I have no idea where the driver files are located. Sure, there's a driver folder in C:, but no names are given...

it doesn't even show up in your installed programs list (add/remove programs option in control panel)? i've found drivers installed in there sometimes, but not always.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You can try going to Device Manager (Control Panel -> System), seeing if there is a Bluetooth entry anywhere. Then, if you look at the Properties of *that*, it will tell you what the driver file is (usually something like obscurename34.dll), which you can then use to find the driver.

Personally I haven't had trouble finding drivers though, so I'm not sure - maybe someone else knows an easier way to spot those files.

Yeah, I don't know how comfortable Arkan is with this. Can anybody suggest a more friendly method?

Also, maybe the supplier's website has an Uninstallation Tool, that is sometimes the case..

it doesn't even show up in your installed programs list (add/remove programs option in control panel)? i've found drivers installed in there sometimes, but not always.

taks

Gah! It was way down the list under WIDCOMM. I should have known better... Now to uninstall and reboot. Thanks, taks.