Overzealous IP/domain bans?

Pa3PyX

To forum administrators:

I have been unable to get into the forum from my own IP address for better part of the year now, except through an anonymizer proxy ("Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board" without even being logged in, trying to log in does not work -- same message). My IP address is dynamic; I tried reconnecting to my ISP and got different ones, but to no avail -- either the entire 71.*.*.* IP mask or the entire *.east.verizon.net mask appears to be banned.

Please avoid IP mask and domain mask bans. They are of little to no use; someone who wants to get in can always use a public proxy server. And the side effect is that you ban legitimate users. To my knowledge, there are already features in Invision to avoid spam bots, such as email confirmation and picture read-outs to prevent automated registrations, as well as the possibility of per-account bans for misbehaving users.

Are you administrators? If so, you know whether or not I was the recipient. If not, then you don't need to know. Either way, there is no point in asking that question.

Then, I do realize this is an "Off Topic" forum so all bets are off, but my personal case, user name or other personal opinions I may hold have nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make (other than that I happen to be one of those affected).

Edited by Pa3PyX

The question has been passed on to those "in the know", although those may be doing whatever people do when it is weekend and such.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gorth: Thanks for the help.

Deadly_Nightshade: Yes, surely so; but if the case is valid (meaning, the facts are straight and the reasoning is sound) -- which those "in the know" will know -- then motives should be beside the point.

Part of this is my own laziness and selfishness too, if you want me to admit that -- I should have found a way to contact forum administration privately instead of posting this as an open topic. Ban discussions are flammable.