Winter cooking

Walsingham

I was wondering what to do with all these damn hazelnuts so I cooked up a panful with sugar, cinnamon, salt and black pepper. They're actually very good.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I now have the exact same problem, but much stickier.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It'd be awesome to make some French Onion Soup. Oh man that sounds madly delicious with a roast beef sammich on the side and deliciousnss everywhere Oh man that sounds awesome.

Potato leak soup is also pretty amazing as well if made especially delicious by a trained hand.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I decided cold sandwiches were out, so I got some smoked salmon, horseradish, and fresh spinach in the wok. It was... fresh, original and tasty, but at the same time totally not what I wanted.

-Elwood Blues

I decided cold sandwiches were out, so I got some smoked salmon, horseradish, and fresh spinach in the wok. It was... fresh, original and tasty, but at the same time totally not what I wanted.

I always like to do salmon on the grill or oven. Better if you enclose it so steam cook faster but I kind of like to leave it open so the butter caramelizes then I add lemon. But anyways. a little olive oil, salt and pepper, tons of garlic, tons of onions, then a nice squeeze of lemon to make an awesome tangy sauce. Make some rice or asparagus and your set. Very easy, very quick, very nice. :p

It gets a too dark too early tho to grill so it's like :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I bought a slowcooker/crockpot to make more stuff my husband would like (we have very different "favorites" tastes) and it's currently in the process of making an experimental chicken stew - I followed no recipie, just tossed a bunch of stuff in. Sort of like a healthier version of chicken pot pie, minus the crust ... and more stew-like. I don't know how it'll turn out yet, but it sure smells good.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I always like to do salmon on the grill or oven. Better if you enclose it so steam cook faster but I kind of like to leave it open so the butter caramelizes then I add lemon. But anyways. a little olive oil, salt and pepper, tons of garlic, tons of onions, then a nice squeeze of lemon to make an awesome tangy sauce. Make some rice or asparagus and your set. Very easy, very quick, very nice. :)

I reckon we'd get along just fine in the kitchen. Plenty of good flavours there. How'd you like curries?

-Elwood Blues

I always like to do salmon on the grill or oven. Better if you enclose it so steam cook faster but I kind of like to leave it open so the butter caramelizes then I add lemon. But anyways. a little olive oil, salt and pepper, tons of garlic, tons of onions, then a nice squeeze of lemon to make an awesome tangy sauce. Make some rice or asparagus and your set. Very easy, very quick, very nice. :lol:

I reckon we'd get along just fine in the kitchen. Plenty of good flavours there. How'd you like curries?

I'm afraid I've yet to really try curry. My dad, who is an awesome home cook tried it once but it wasn't exactly to my liking. I'm not sure it's something I would like anyways. I mean I love spices, but tons of cumin (they use a lot of that right?) isn't right up my alley. I'd be willing to try curry at a reputable restaurant but I doubt I'd be tantalized since I'm not a huge fan of spicy food. Yeah I'm a pretty boring person.

I guess this time of year is good for stuff like meatloaf as well. My meatloaf recipe kind of sucks, every time I've made I've tinkered with it and the last batch I made was pretty decent however it doesn't really matter how it tastes when you smother it with gravy. Which brings me to another topic. Gravy. Gravy is pretty beyond delicious but I'd love to get a recipe for some country fried steak with the white gravy on top because that stuff is awesome. I know I could look online but thats too much work.

And another thing I have trouble with is eggs. I mean I can cook eggs, over easy the only way I'll eat them, but they never turn out to be the same consistency as restaurants or taste anywhere near as good. I understand I'm not using cast iron nor a seasoned pan but I mean come on. I've tried all different kinds of heat settings and they never turn out quite right. I guess another huge factor is that my mom buys like a billion cartoons of eggs so you never know what is mildly fresh and what has been sitting there for God knows how long. It's a real travesty what I have to go through in life.

But i do make a pretty mean flank steak fajitas which are way easy. Just take some flank or skirt steak, diamond cuts on the top, real shallow cuts just so the marinade can get in. Now normally i hate marinades becuase they usually make things suck but this isn't bad. Just rub it down with olive oil, salt and pepper. In a bowl combine about a ratio of 2:1 soy sauce to Worcester sauce, a very nice helping of honey, minced garlic, and a nice bit of some spicy chili garlic stuff. Then pour over the steak in a marinating container. After 2 hours flip it over, and let it sit for another 2 hours. Throw on hot grill until medium doneness then cut into strips making sure you cut against the grain so you aren't getting pure strips of tendons. Saute some yellow/red pepper and onions in a pan and combine on nicely warmed tortillas and your done. It should be very tender and sweet but not to the point where you can't taste good steak greatness.

Or I just do a rub of salt, pepper, mixed Spanish seasonings and it comes out pretty nice.

Beer can chicken is also quite good around this time. I've had a variation of pepsi can chicken that was actually very tasty if not better than traditional since someone drank all the beer....Just make sure you empty like half the can before you stand the chicken on it or in the event the chicken almost inevitably falls over whatever liquid you are using sloshes into the chicken, and as a my personal hero Alton Brown says, "That is not good eats."

Just remember to coat the ENTIRE chicken with a nice bit of seasoning or else it's going to taste like anti-deliciousness.