Huge problems with .Mod files! Appear as .mpegs!!!!??

Help!! Can anyone explain why after saving my mod files in Kotor Tools' Module Editor, my computer thinks they are mpeg files? This is rather strange and is not something I have ever come across before. Any help would be fantastic

Do they actually come up with '.mpeg' at the end, or are they just showing the generic icon of a 'mpg' file?

If it's the former, then take a look at how you're saving them and just rename them. If it's the latter, then it's simple file association - don't worry about it, KOTOR will load them just fine.

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

Help!! Can anyone explain why after saving my mod files in Kotor Tools' Module Editor, my computer thinks they are mpeg files? This is rather strange and is not something I have ever come across before. Any help would be fantastic

Do they actually come up with '.mpeg' at the end, or are they just showing the generic icon of a 'mpg' file?

If it's the former, then take a look at how you're saving them and just rename them. If it's the latter, then it's simple file association - don't worry about it, KOTOR will load them just fine.

It shows the icon and under properties, says that it's an mpeg movie file. Not sure why this is happening. The same thing happens to ALL .mod files that KOTOR TOOL makes.

OK - but what does the actual EXTENSION say? i.e. is it mymod.mod or mymod.mpeg?

If the extension is still .mod, then there's no problem - it's just that your media player app has got .mod files attributed as being a movie file for them to play.

KOTOR won't care about that and just load them on it's own anyway.

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

Its definatly .mpeg extension. Plus it says 'type: movie file' when I hover my pointer on it. According to my Windows Media Player, in the file type tab, even when I uncheck the box for recognising .mpegs it still shows as a video file! It cant recognise it when I tried playing it anyway! :(

I simply dont see why either Kotor Tool is outputting .mpegs or Windows thinks .mods are movies!

Its definatly .mpeg extension. Plus it says 'type: movie file' when I hover my pointer on it. According to my Windows Media Player, in the file type tab, even when I uncheck the box for recognising .mpegs it still shows as a video file! It cant recognise it when I tried playing it anyway! :(

I simply dont see why either Kotor Tool is outputting .mpegs or Windows thinks .mods are movies!

Did you accidently right click on the .mod file, choose the Windows Media Player, and forget to uncheck the box that say, "Allways open this file with this program"? Maybe you made an unconscious mistake.

Its definatly .mpeg extension. Plus it says 'type: movie file' when I hover my pointer on it. According to my Windows Media Player, in the file type tab, even when I uncheck the box for recognising .mpegs it still shows as a video file! It cant recognise it when I tried playing it anyway! >_<

Did you accidently right click on the .mod file, choose the Windows Media Player, and forget to uncheck the box that say, "Allways open this file with this program"? Maybe you made an unconscious mistake.

I did but changed it to the ErfEditor from starwarsknights.com. It now opens with that but still says its an mpeg file type in properties. All the files are still in the mod though because ErfEditor can view the quite happily. But it still seems that the mod cannot function while it appears as a movie file on my computer

I don't know if it's even remotely related to KOTOR2, but all my .mod files from NWN1 mods show up with the mpg icons and wants the vid program to play them etc.

They still work just fine when loading them in the game though.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Well just rename your .mpeg files to .mod files.

next time you go to save a mod file from the app you use to make them, take a careful look at the "save as type" field to ensure you're saving them correctly.