Help me play KOTOR on Vista

thepixiesrock

So, I'm playing KOTOR on my Dell laptop, with Vista, and I can get all the way through Taris no problem, graphics settings on the max, the thing runs like a dream. The minute I hit Dantooine though, it lags to the point of unplayability. I try to walk, and my character goes into walking position, but doesn't actually move, until 15 seconds later when he's allthe way on the other side of the map, running into a wall. This happens regardless of what my graphics settings are, wether they be highest, or the lowest. I don't know anything about computer gamming and graphics and drivers and all that. Does anyone know what might be the problem, and what a solution might be?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

If you want to use a PC, you HAVE to learn how to handle your hardware and software. A computer is a tool, not a toy and its irresponsible to neglect learning to us it properly.

With that said, I know Dantooine was a problem when it first was released aswell, so google will be full of old tips on how to solve it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That is just so like you Kaftan. As long as I have Obsidian, I'm ok with staying ignorant regarding computers. I'm not the enemy here, Kaft, I don't own anything Apple.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Well, from what I've found, this was a fairly sommon problem as Kaftan said, and I am supposed to put

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

in my swkotor.ini under graphics options or soemthing. But when I try to do that it says that it "Can not create the C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\swkotor.ini file."

So what the crap.

Well this worked back in the day when this happened in other games ... have you tried disabling your sound card at that point when you play? I am shooting in the dark to be honest, but it has worked in the past :?

Sorry Pixie, I continue to avoid Vista so I have no practical way to test your problem :/

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Hey thanks. That last link had what I needed, and now the game is running a lot better.

Well, it wasn't a Vista problem really. I just had to do that thing I mentioned earlier about putting in that "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" in notepad under the swkotor game settings, but in order to save it, I had to run notepad as administrator, so that I could save the changes.