Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition is on the way...

Sand

I'm glad that they're killing off some of the big names. The FR setting is a fat, bloated pig. It waddles around freely because so many people like a fatty diet with lots of pork, but it would not only be healthier on a diet, it would taste a hell of lot better also.

If they wanted dead gods than they should have left that lamer Bane dead.

If they kill Mystra off, they kill the weave. No weave, no magic. Sounds like they are trying to advance the FR setting into something else. They might as well just kill of the FR setting period.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I'm glad that they're killing off some of the big names. The FR setting is a fat, bloated pig. It waddles around freely because so many people like a fatty diet with lots of pork, but it would not only be healthier on a diet, it would taste a hell of lot better also.

If they wanted dead gods than they should have left that lamer Bane dead.

If they kill Mystra off, they kill the weave. No weave, no magic. Sounds like they are trying to advance the FR setting into something else. They might as well just kill of the FR setting period.

Bane is awesome. Who else to represent a tyrant? He's a perfect personality for the universe. Unlike Bhaal who was a lawful psychopath and Myrkul who was evil when the universe fits a neutral god of death more.

They need to let Bane do some of the major changes to the universe. Cyric gets too much play despite Lawful Evil being the supposed frequently successful kind of evil.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Instead of making sweepoing changes like killing gods why not start the setting from scratch. Start over from the very beginning when Netheril was just a collection of 7 villages along a river, before the majority of all these gods came into being.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There's always been a lot of hoopla about Mystra regulating magic. In the old Arcane Age boxed set, they talk a lot about the "good ol' days" of Mystryl, when packs of 20th+ level arcanists sailed around in Netherese flying cities casting 10th level spells and dozens of 41st+ level elven spellcasters would lay mythals and other high magic rituals whenever they felt like it.

After Karsus effectively killed Mystryl, the Mystra that replaced her became the boss of how magic worked. Shar messing with the Shadow Weave allowed for some "alternate" spellcasting, but ultimately it's just standard D&D spellcasting with a few modifications. Killing off Mystra gives the WotC designers an in-setting reason to mechanically change the operation of magic. Also the spellplague sounds like it gives them the opportunity to thin out the engorged ranks of wizards throughout Faer

There's always been a lot of hoopla about Mystra regulating magic. In the old Arcane Age boxed set, they talk a lot about the "good ol' days" of Mystryl, when packs of 20th+ level arcanists sailed around in Netherese flying cities casting 10th level spells and dozens of 41st+ level elven spellcasters would lay mythals and other high magic rituals whenever they felt like it.

After Karsus effectively killed Mystryl, the Mystra that replaced her became the boss of how magic worked. Shar messing with the Shadow Weave allowed for some "alternate" spellcasting, but ultimately it's just standard D&D spellcasting with a few modifications. Killing off Mystra gives the WotC designers an in-setting reason to mechanically change the operation of magic. Also the spellplague sounds like it gives them the opportunity to thin out the engorged ranks of wizards throughout Faer

Killing Mystra is not changing the mechanics of magic in DnD. It is killing, ending, magic in the Forgotten Realms. No Mystra, no Weave. No Weave, no magic.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Killing Mystra is not changing the mechanics of magic in DnD. It is killing, ending, magic in the Forgotten Realms. No Mystra, no Weave. No Weave, no magic.

How many times has Mystra died? Yet, the magic remains.

Mystra will have been killed, again, and there will be Magic in 4e. Nothing you can do will change that. Unless you run around to every group playing the game and start messing up their table while yelling "NO MAGIC, MYSTRA IS DEAD" in your nerd rage. Something I can actually see you trying to do.

Edited by Tale

Magic only remained because someone became Mystra. It doesn't sound like that is going to happen here.

Magic only remained because someone became Mystra. It doesn't sound like that is going to happen here.

Yet they are going to have magic in 4e. So, what's the problem?

Yet they are going to have magic in 4e. So, what's the problem?

That is the problem. They have long established that Mystra is what empowers the Weave, the magic, of Faerun. They have long established that without Mystra there is no magic, hence the literal fall of Netheril. So, if no one takes up the mantle of Mystra then Forgotten Realms, if it is to remain true to canon, then there is no magic. If it doesn't remain true to canon then it is worthless. Consistancy is paramount in a campaign setting.

Ao is around to do whatever the heck the designers want. Maybe he'll pass control of magic to Azuth, who will re-structure it in new ways. Or maybe it will be divided among several deities who will each allow access to it in different ways. Whatever, as long as Ao gets involved at the deity level, anything can happen.

That is assuming that he does get involved, J.E..

And you assumed he does not.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

He is simply a deus ex machina that if used means that the whole process is lame from the start. If you have to resort to such measures when you write a story to make the result you want then it is bad writing and design.

Good Lord, Vis. It's a setting, not a novel. They have to have some leeway to change things as they move through editions. Maybe they can remove some of the suck from the setting. Probably not. It'll probably suck anyhow.

I mean, you've made your point about scrapping the whole FR. I agree with you on that count, btw. They still have the right to change the setting in pretty much any way they want. ...And if you're just now accusing WotC, TSR, or <insert any company in charge of or charged to use the FR setting here> of resorting to these measures in order to write a story, then you haven't been paying attention over the years.

Hell, who am I to judge? Obviously the Realms setting is extremely popular with folks. Even if they lose a number of fans with this alleged change, they've still got a viable setting that may, over time, increase the fanbase.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Good Lord, Vis. It's a setting, not a novel. They have to have some leeway to change things as they move through editions. Maybe they can remove some of the suck from the setting. Probably not. It'll probably suck anyhow.

I mean, you've made your point about scrapping the whole FR. I agree with you on that count, btw. They still have the right to change the setting in pretty much any way they want. ...And if you're just now accusing WotC, TSR, or of resorting to these measures in order to write a story, then you haven't been paying attention over the years.

Hell, who am I to judge? Obviously the Realms setting is extremely popular with folks. Even if they lose a number of fans with this alleged change, they've still got a viable setting that may, over time, increase the fanbase.

They should just scrap the setting because they're not going to have any magic.

Edited by Tale

Well, that ought to make the low magic setting crowd happy. haha

Seriously, though, I'm sure they'll have magic of some sort. They might even make it easier for your warlock/rogue build you love. :Cant's tongue in cheek grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah, assuming the next D&D cRPG even has Warlocks. :thumbsup:

I thought Warlokcs were confirmed?

He is simply a deus ex machina that if used means that the whole process is lame from the start. If you have to resort to such measures when you write a story to make the result you want then it is bad writing and design.

Ao is exactly that. As long as he is part of D&D Lore there's nothing like "too much retconning" or "this's never going to happen/work".

Welcome to world of Expanded Universe.

Oh right, this wasn't about Star Wars, my bad.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I thought Warlokcs were confirmed?

Only for Smash, only for Smash. :'(

Wait, what? Are Warlocks being made into a PHB class? Nifty! Now to wait until the announcement of the first 4e D&D game. And hopefully it's good. And has Wild Mages.

Edited by Tale

I mean, you've made your point about scrapping the whole FR. I agree with you on that count, btw. They still have the right to change the setting in pretty much any way they want. ...And if you're just now accusing WotC, TSR, or <insert any company in charge of or charged to use the FR setting here> of resorting to these measures in order to write a story, then you haven't been paying attention over the years.

They should just scrap the setting because they're not going to have any magic.

Yep. If they want to kill, do it the right way and just end it all and start something brand new. A new setting. Forgotten Realms was the last of the D&D settings I liked, now its going to s**t. Screw Wizards, they get no more money from me be it rule books or novels.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.