DVD+RW

I take it only a DVD+RW drive can read DVD+RW disks? I burned some files on to a disk from my parents computer since they happen to have a DVD burner. I put the disk in my computer and my computer freaks out by going super slow and not being able to read the disk. My DVD ROM happens to be a DVD/CD-RW drive.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I take it only a DVD+RW drive can read DVD+RW disks? I burned some files on to a disk from my parents computer since they happen to have a DVD burner. I put the disk in my computer and my computer freaks out by going super slow and not being able to read the disk. My DVD ROM happens to be a DVD/CD-RW drive.

Umm... just DVD drive should do. Does your drive have any limitations like only DVD+ or DVD- format (just in case your parents DVD drive was the opposite format) ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have a plain old DVD-ROM that was made before the writable versions existed. I made a copy of my files and put them on a DVD-R, which my DVD-ROM read fine.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

The two other (and only) things I can think of besides the DVD- and DVD+ incompitibility is that a) Your writer software thought it was a DVD-RAM and put down in that format (unlikely) or there is some kind of "alignment" problem (for lack of better description). I used to have a DVD writer whose discs couldn't be used on other drives. They would cough, moan and whine and tell my computer that there is no valid disc in the drive. The discs could be read perfectly well in the old DVD drive (the writer), but not really on other peoples computers. Sort of like fiddling around with head adjustment on old 8bit computer tape drives :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One must love technology and all of it's quirks.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

i've seen similar problems with CD R/W drives. basically, some readers don't read other R/W discs very well, unless recorded at the absolutely slowest speed possible.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

One must love technology and all of it's quirks.

Below post is very true in my experiencee burning thousands of DVD's and CD's. Anyway, I find DVD+RW and anything rewritable to be pretty much crap when played in anything but a PC. If I'm giving an old movie to a friend, I always give DVD-R's; and nothing but that...

I love Nero.

I bought a blue ray burner..... and..... Oh god It is amazing but a total waste of money right now. Look slike blue ray is going to take control of the market though.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon