What are your favorite 3D and 2D graphics tools?

I know we have some programmers frequenting these boards, thus I asume that there must be a few artists like myself aswell. Im fairly traditional when it comes to 3D using 3Ds MAX with Zbrush for highpoly sculpting, but I prefer Painter above photoshop because of the superior brush engine and real colour blending

But the arrival of Zbrush 3 gave me one huge kick so Im trying to expand from MAX to XSI aswell, keeping with the times and all.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

has anyone managed to understand Blender and its "UI from outer space"? They claim its extremely intuitive and usable, but when it takes an experienced 3D artist several minutes to figure out how to draw a simple polygon, I begin to doubt those claims. XSI on the other hand has everything where youd expect it to be.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

has anyone managed to understand Blender and its "UI from outer space"? They claim its extremely intuitive and usable, but when it takes an experienced 3D artist several minutes to figure out how to draw a simple polygon, I begin to doubt those claims. XSI on the other hand has everything where youd expect it to be.

I didn't. After a lot of fiddling around with 3DSMax I just can't bring myself to use Blender. Also, I have never heard anyone calling its interface "intuitive".

Now, that's an attitude I like. Not like those darn pesky people who can do both. I mean, its hard enough to land a job without having to compete with guys who can write their own engine AND make all the content aswell.

I didn't. After a lot of fiddling around with 3DSMax I just can't bring myself to use Blender. Also, I have never heard anyone calling its interface "intuitive".

I think one of their slogans is something like "after using Blender, youll wish that every program worked like this". By which, I asume, they mean that once youve started wearing your trousers backwards, itll feel funny to turn them right again :*

But I dont know, maybe it IS great once you know how to use it.

Or perhaps once you learn how to speak Swahili, you'll want to speak it all the time around your English-speaking friends to show off that you can and also so as to not forget how.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Now, that's an attitude I like. Not like those darn pesky people who can do both. I mean, its hard enough to land a job without having to compete with guys who can write their own engine AND make all the content aswell.

I think one of their slogans is something like "after using Blender, youll wish that every program worked like this". By which, I asume, they mean that once youve started wearing your trousers backwards, itll feel funny to turn them right again :)

But I dont know, maybe it IS great once you know how to use it.

Such folks are rare... And also tend to be hobbiest opposed to professionals. I do know a couple though, although one of them is now in management, and the other quit his job, citing that he no longer desieres to develop computer games.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I only use small FREE tools, since I don't need anything more for Wc3, which is the only thing I'm modding right now.

I use GIMP as a 2d art program, and it does the job very well. For 3d I use GMAX, which is still a good program, seeing as its free.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"