Computer won't boot

EUIX

I am building a new a computer for someone and after getting it all together I press the power button and I hear this really sharp and loud beeping sound and then a second or two later the computer powers, the hard drive never reads, the memory test never runs, it is barely on for a second. I tried pulling everything off and leaving just the CPU, ram, and a video card but to no avail. Anyone know whats wrong? I suspect the beeping noise means something but dunno what.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I think it's the graphics card that isn't properly inserted.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

depends... every bios has different beep codes for failed boots. typically, however, a loooong beep means video problems.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Another maybe - is the power supply enough to run the card?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Your motherboard manual is probably the place to look.

This brings back memories of last year and trying to build my computer. It had four little lights instead of beeps, and the fact that none of them even lit up once meant that I was screwed. The motherboard wasn't compatible with the processor. Oops. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Hey guys, sorry was a little busy in the past day or so. Its a solid continous beeping sound, also I tried swapping power supplies to no avail. I suspect the motherboard is at fault, convieniently enough it didn't come with a manual for some reason (its ASUS).

Don't quite understand the question of what bios, I can't make it to the bios the cooling fan will barely start turning before things shut off.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Hey guys, sorry was a little busy in the past day or so. Its a solid continous beeping sound, also I tried swapping power supplies to no avail. I suspect the motherboard is at fault, convieniently enough it didn't come with a manual for some reason (its ASUS).

www.asus.com

click on your desired country and look up the manual.

Don't quite understand the question of what bios, I can't make it to the bios the cooling fan will barely start turning before things shut off.

not really. the bios is essentially in charge as soon as you hit the power button. what you're describing is that you can't make it to the _POST_ screen (Power On Self-Test) before things shut off. the beep, however long, is often a bios function that indicates what your problem is (i imagine supplies also have a beep, though i've never had one do it, they just fail on me). ASUS typically uses AMI bios, and the solid, continuous high-pitched tone is not one they use (that i know of). that indicates, to me, either a problematic mobo or power supply.

taks

Let's see here, its a ASUS P5B...its midnight here I guess I can browse the asus website tomorrow for the manual.

AMI bios...

i've got the P5B-E and i just got it running. what a pain in the ass. no where, no how, no way should they be selling this board. it is as confused as they get.

anyway, either your mobo or your power supply are dead most likely.

taks