Worst Camera Ever?

Why does everyone hate the Neverwinter Nights camera? What makes you think it's the worst. I just don't understand the aversion to it. It's easily controlled with a wide range of views. What is the problem? :lol:

For me I think the worst part wasnt necessarily the camera itself but a combination of the assinine default movement keys being the arrow keys (why wouldnt those be the most common form, WASD?) and the mouse controlling the camera. It made, for me, a very awkward experience to move, then futz with the camera to get a good view, then have to re-adjust because your guy ran across the map, all the while with my hands almost feeling like they are crossed on the keyboard. You know, maybe that was it. Unlike other games where your group pretty much stays in one small region, NWN2 has your party all over the damn place which contstantly requires you to screw with the camera every time you click on an NPC to see wtf they are doing. You once explained to me that all that could be re-mapped but I never did before losing interest in the game.

It's never where you want it to be, good camera is a camera you don't really pay attention to, as opposed to having to tinker with it every time you do something.

It's never where you want it to be, good camera is a camera you don't really pay attention to, as opposed to having to tinker with it every time you do something.

QFT

As to topic - darnit, I know there was this game where an entire level had this horrid, fixed position camera, where you couldn't turn it or anything - you'd end up turning a corner and staring at a wall, unable to get a view of your characters or anything. I can't remember which one tho - maybe it was The Summoner...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Zork, horrible horrible camera.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Really? It's a big improvement from the original game, it's a shame that players can't use it. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed.

Maybe they will put in a FPV toggle.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Everyone (who is blaming NWNs) are blaming the NWN camere because that's only thing they can come up with right.

For example, the most horrible camera easily goes to Silent Hill fixed angles. And japanese survival horror angles in general. If anyone has played Forbidden Siren, that game had this thing with telepathy where you could transfer your point of view to the monster. This is sort of in STALKER as well and there it is no problem, but that's because you are supposed to be totally zoned everytime it happens in the Ukranian ruins. In FS, on the other hand, it is a prime game mechanic and shouldn't be so fricking frustrating to use each time. Even thought the other survival games don't ahve this, they try to be artsy with the angles, but end up just giving the payer odd shots of player characters running to walls instead of dispatching monsters.

Another game with a horrible camera was Force Commander. It was obvious that the devs wehre proud of their 3d enviroment and free camera movement, but that didn't really transfer well to teh actual use. You could never find a good angle to order your troops so instead you ended up not using the camera movement options at all and staid on the default RTSy-angle. That speaks of wasted effort to me.

Most Tomb Raiders have had horrible camereas as well, but the age of the first parts has to be counted in. Not so for Ninja Gaiden which was my first thought even before reading the start post. There's just something severely annoying when you constantly have to keep centering the camere behind Ryu instead of using that effort to win fights. Sure, wind jump gets you straight to next enemy and outside combat it is nearly unnoticable, but if you don't keep pushing that center button in combat, the camera keeps jumping around and giving you weird angles all tthe time due to Ryu's constant(if you fight as you should, heh) quick movements. The aquaducts with their closed spaces were extra horrible. Remember the bug room?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I agree that the first Tombraider camera wasn't good compared to later games, BUT, it was a feature of the gameplay to make some of the jumps that little bit harder without the player knowing exactly what they were jumping into ... but it was definitely overdone in the later games, to the point of ruining the mechanism.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Another game with a horrible camera was Force Commander. It was obvious that the devs wehre proud of their 3d enviroment and free camera movement, but that didn't really transfer well to teh actual use. You could never find a good angle to order your troops so instead you ended up not using the camera movement options at all and staid on the default RTSy-angle. That speaks of wasted effort to me.

Hah, it looks like I'm not only one who was stupid enough to buy that game :D

NWN's cameras ain't good, but there's a lot of games with worse cameras. Japanese horror games were good examples.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Survival Horror is a subgenre of adventure games. The camera angles are supposed to be like the preset angles you see in Myst, Longest Journey, or the like. It also helps up the horror by not always letting you see the enemy. They're not really action games, which is why they give you aim assistance to compensate.

I understand that, but it doesn't make me appreciate the camera any more.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

But, considering that there are numerous cameras that lead to instant frustrating deaths due to unintended or poorly tested behavior, how can it be worse?

I have no argument against that, I've just had the worst camera experiences in jap survival horror games.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

NWN2 was the worst of the games I played until I learned to control it better. irratating.

So, its the game's problem that you lack skill?

r00fles!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

NWN2 was the worst of the games I played until I learned to control it better. irratating.

So, its the game's problem that you lack skill?

r00fles!

No, controlling the stupid camera.

You lose!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I agree that the first Tombraider camera wasn't good compared to later games, BUT, it was a feature of the gameplay to make some of the jumps that little bit harder without the player knowing exactly what they were jumping into ... but it was definitely overdone in the later games, to the point of ruining the mechanism.

Tombraiders camera is awful, it's pure vomit! There is no excuse.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me