DA Info

Volourn

I would be first in line for any CRPG that is "good." In some cases "not so good" as well. I only play, for the most part, CRPGs.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"If I had to choose between Obsidian's Alien game or Bioware's Dragon Age, I would choose Obsidian."

This says everything anyone needs to know about how phony your 'it's too generic' and 'too unoriginal' ****ick is.

You ar ebetetr off typing: I think BIO sucks, but I buy their games anyways. Obsidian is better, I'll buy their games even if it's just a pre existing IP. Nothing with that opinion; but let's be honest.

Afterall, you didn't whine too much about NWN2's 'genericness' and 'unoriginality' depsite the fact it's the sequel to NWN2 and is based off the property (D&D) that basiclaly evented the term 'generic defintion' and is what people actually mean when they write 'generic fantasy'.

R00fles!

P.S. I hvae no problem with those wary about DA. Some others actually mad decent points earlier on; but it should be logical and fitting. Heck, I have some DA things I'm worried about.

"Hmm, I wouldn't call Jade Empire a generic fantasy setting. Other than that, all they've done is D&D."

Half their games aren't even D&D....

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Its a DnD game. I expected it to be generic, so why would I whine about a DnD game fitting my expectations?

Volourn, of all the CRPG titles they have released, expansions included, 8 are Dungeons and Dragons or uses the d20 System as a base while 2 are not.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Sand:

" The poverty of CRPGs is the only reason I would get DA."

If only people understood that RPGs are the best genre of games. But remember, it could be worse. You could be like me and love adventure games. That genre pretty much died off five years ago.

Anyways, can I ask what sort you'd consider non-generic fantasy?

Llyranor:

"Besides, this is vaporware."

I'm assuming you're joking.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Bloodlines wasn't generic fantasy. Arcanum isn't generic fantasy. Hmmm... Those are just off the top of my head.

Llyranor is just being an ass because way way way back when I said Dragon AGe looked like vaporware because Bioware went all on about the game yet didn't actually show anything about it except a few concept drawings and 2 very early build screenshots for years. It kind of looked like the whole Duke Nuke'm Forever fiasco to me at the time.

"Volourn, of all the CRPG titles they have released, expansions included, 8 are Dungeons and Dragons or uses the d20 System as a base while 2 are not."

D20 is not neccessarrily DnD.

BIO has made BG, BG2, and NWN for D&D games along with 4 expansions.

They have made MDK2 + expansion, SS, KOTOR, and JE and are making ME and DA which arne't D&D.

Games wise, it's 3 D&D games and 4 non D&D games currently made.

Counting expansiions, it's 7-5 crrently in favor of D&D.

With the upcoming announced games, it's gonna be 7-6. Not exactly 'all', right?

"Arcanum isn't generic fantasy"

Sure, it is. At least as much as DA is.

"Its a DnD game. I expected it to be generic, so why would I whine about a DnD game fitting my expectations?"

Unless it's BIO doing it. L0LLERZ!

Maria: Llyr is making fun of Sands and allt hsoe other sillies who claimed that DA was amythical myth BIO made up to 'appease' PC gamers and it was simply vapourware. L0L

"Arcanum isn't generic fantasy"

Sure, it is. Just as much as DA is, anyways.

Edited by Volourn

Sand:

" If I had to choose between Obsidian's Alien game or Bioware's Dragon Age, I would choose Obsidian."

I'd buy both. I think they'll be at least a year and a half apart. But if I had to choose? Dragon Age. I know nothing about the Aliens RPG.

Volourn:

" Half their games aren't even D&D...."

I'm talking about the fantasy games. However, even if you consider KotOR generic, it wasn't their IP either.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I was counting only CRPGs, Volourn. Last I checked MDK2 and Shattered Steel aren't CRPGs.

Good on you. I was replying to someonw ho claimed 'all their games' oustide fo JE' was D&D. Geez. You change topics so fast just to claim you are 'right' when it was a topic I wasn't even disucsisng! WOW!

Please, don't change things up like that. heh.

"I wouldn't call a game generic based just on its setting. However, as I said on the Codex boards, it's too early to say whether it'll be a winner, also."

This is mkinda true; but also kinda false. While it is too early to make a final determination of quality (good or bad) for DA; it is still posisble to form an opinion based off both the writers' past experience with BIO games (likeing them or not) + the info we do know as well. Afterall, knowing this stuff is how potential customers such as ourselves determine which games to buy or not...

Good on you. I was replying to someonw ho claimed 'all their games' oustide fo JE' was D&D. Geez. You change topics so fast just to claim you are 'right' when it was a topic I wasn't even disucsisng! WOW!

Please, don't change things up like that. heh.

Did you actually read the post. I very much clarified that I was talking about Bioware's CRPGs. You even quoted me on it. And I did miscount. It is 8 DnD/d20 System CRPGs to 3 non-DnD/d20 System CRPGs. I forgot to count ME because its not on a platform I can play on. Come on now, keep up. :thumbsup:

Sand:

" Bloodlines wasn't generic fantasy. Arcanum isn't generic fantasy. Hmmm... Those are just off the top of my head."

You're using a much broader definition of fantasy than I was thinking.

Vampire: the Masquerade 'borrowed' heavily from Anne Rice, but I agree that it's unusual concept for a cRPG. I was sad to see that it sold far less copies than Arcanum or TOEE.

Yes, they announced it when they were very early in production. Lots of people have thought it was vaporware.

I count any game or work of fiction that relies on the supernatural or paranatural as a integral part of its setting and/or story as fantasy.

"Did you actually read the post. I very much clarified that I was talking about Bioware's CRPGs. You even quoted me on it. And I did miscount. It is 8 DnD/d20 System CRPGs to 3 non-DnD/d20 System CRPGs. I forgot to count ME because its not on a platform I can play on. Come on now, keep up."

Yeah; but you were replying to me who had replied to someone else who had said 'all BIO games but JE were D&D'...

Heh. Anywyas, no biggie. Basiclaly, yes, BIO made their share of D&D games. That much is true. However, obviously, they've moved beyond that though. Time for us all to move past that phase as well. The BIO making D&D games phase is now (at least temporarily) dead.

P.S. Sand, and I at least agree on a defintion for fantasy. Hehe.

Edited by Volourn

Sand:

"Did you actually read the post. I very much clarified that I was talking about Bioware's CRPGs. You even quoted me on it. And I did miscount. It is 8 DnD/d20 System CRPGs to 3 non-DnD/d20 System CRPGs. I forgot to count ME because its not on a platform I can play on. Come on now, keep up. :)"

With our powers combined, we can make Volourn's head spin off.

Azarkon:

"I wouldn't call a game generic based just on its setting. However, as I said on the Codex boards, it's too early to say whether it'll be a winner, also."

It's going to be great. It's going to be an epiphany for cRPG players; a full-body orgasm you can play for 40 hours. It will make tons of money and be heralded by gamers and critics everywhere. It will be BioWare' Diakatana. :thumbsup:

P.S. Sand, and I at least agree on a defintion for fantasy. Hehe.

At least that is something!

r00fles!

There are dragons during this age, as one would fairly expect. The game is not about dragons, however, and the main character has no special relation to them. Nor are they some dominant feature of the world or the story

We get it. It's not about dragons. It's just the Dragon Age :thumbsup:

There are doors

I probably will be getting the game because I am a CRPG nut but I will be in no rush to get it. Right now NWN2 fulfills all my needs for a fantasy CRPG.

This makes sense, and I suspect a lot of folks agree. Personally, I'll suspend judgment--in small part because DA is not a pre-existing franchise but a new IP.

If I fixate on labels anything can seem worn out: sci-fi, steampunk, horror, zombie-crawling-post-Chernobyl dystopia. Genres are by nature generic. Gods and devils lurk in the details. It's a bit early to find them.

The quotes are all out of context and I often do... judicious editing.

You're right, though. Bioware has made a point (or at least Dave has) to say that the game is not about dragons, and that they chose the title "Dragon Age" for other reasons. I just found it funny that they had to justify this decision to players since so many assumed that a game called Dragon Age would be all about dragons.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

"If I had to choose between Obsidian's Alien game or Bioware's Dragon Age, I would choose Obsidian."

This says everything anyone needs to know about how phony your 'it's too generic' and 'too unoriginal' ****ick is.

Really?

Just how many alien RPGs have you played? I have played absolutely none, but games set in fantasy world with elves, dragons and the rest standard fare... well, probably too many to count.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.