NiGHTS 2 for the Wii official

http://wii.ign.com/articles/777/777545p1.html

April 2, 2007 - SEGA of America and Europe today jointly announced NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams for Nintendo's Wii console. The game is the official sequel to the cult hit SEGA Saturn game in which players explored dream worlds and controlled a jester with the ability to fly. Journey of Dreams seems to follow the same basic premise.

According to SEGA, the title enables gamers to control a jester named NiGHTS through Nightopia, "a rich and vibrant world where dreams come to life." Players will, of course, utilize the Wii remote for what SEGA calls a "heightened sense of gliding, spiraling and looping through seven mystical dream worlds." In addition to soaring through the stages, gamers will battle Nightmares from the the land of Nightmare.

In an official statement made to the Japanese press today, Nights: JoD producer and Sonic Team veteran Takashi Iizuka said, "In 1996, under the concept of 'a refreshing feeling of flight,' we created Nights, a character of the world of dreams who dances through the skies. Eleven years later, the long silence broken, Nights will soar through a new dream world. A new stage, a new story, and a new plaftorm, the Wii. Please look forward to the new adventure of Nights and friends."

"We plan to deliver a gameplay experience never before seen on the Wii with NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams," said Scott A. Steinberg, vice president of marketing, SEGA of America. "The game takes full advantage of the unique Wii Remote controller enabling gamers to guide NiGHTS through spectacularly designed dream worlds intertwined with a story about hope and courage."

According to unconfirmed rumors, NiGHTS began its life for 360 and PS3, but was later moved to Wii. The title is allegedly being developed by Sonic Team America. Journey into Dreams is set for a fall 2007 release.

Overseas magazines broke the story (and embargo) last week, showcasing first screenshots of NiGHTS for Wii. In addition, the game's director revealed that a two-player mode and some form of online compatibility were likely for the title.

IGN Wii will have much more on the game in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Edited by kumquatq3

Kotaku's been following this since, at least, St. Patrick's Day.

Hints: http://kotaku.com/gaming/april-fools/onm-i...joke-244951.php

Confirmation: http://kotaku.com/gaming/nights/nights-seq...rmed-247480.php

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Takashi Iizuka, producer:

- 1996 NiGHTS into Dreams (lead game designer)

- 2005 Shadow the Hedgehog (director/lead game designer)

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Wii is starting to loose it's appeal for me. I was really excited about it when it was first announced. My first plan was getting it on the launch day. But now, I'm glad I couldn't buy it. It only gets old Gamecube games(Super Paper Mario, Legend of Zelda: TS), some ****ty remakes and ports(POP: Rival Swords, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent, ) and some party games that I never find enjoyable or interesting. Third party support is still lacking and Ubisoft's bad ports don't help it either.

No More Heroes and Dragon Quest: Swords are the only games seem interesting to me. Gamecube 2? I hope not.

centinexx.png

Probably because it caught everyone, including third parties, by surprise. One would hope that potential titles they're working on are elaborate enough that it doesn't just take a couple of months to announce and finish. I'd think the major announcements won't be in the next while.

The trend to go for sidegames (DQ Swords, RE Umbrella Chronicles) instead of going for fully-fledged 'main series' games is a tad worrisome, but I'd rather the devs focus on making new IPs taking full advantage of the Wii rather than possibly awkwardly adapting their own franchises to it.

I won't be getting one until at least SSBB comes out, and hopefully by then big announcements will have been made.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)