Has anyone been able to get kotor 2 run with vista?

My hardware configuration is as follows:

PROCESSOR, 6300, 1.86, 2M, CORE DUO

2 G - DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8

CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 256, X1300, MRMGA+2

DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 19, 1907FPC

DVD+/-RW, 16, TOSHIBA SAMSUNG STORAGE TECHNOLOGY, Serial ATA

DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 16X, Serial ATA

MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN

1394A, PC INTERFACE

250GB, S2, 7.2K, 8MG, P120

Integrated Audio

OS - Vista Business 32 bit

Afeter I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI I was able to get kotor 1 to run properly so I mistakenly believed that it was ok to purchase kotor 2. No matter what I do, kotor 2 will not run. Does anyone have any suggestions??

yes I've.. not with vista buisness but with Ultimate:

1. Install KOTOR2 Manually, (Open the CD. get to properties on setup.exe.

* Set compability with WinXP service pack2

* Run as admin.

2. wait...

3. Install cd 2,3,4 normally.

4. Patch the new KOTOR2 (1.0b)

5. Set proprieties on the swkotor.exe

* Set compability with WinXP service pack2

* Run as admin.

6. Download a new mss32.dll (search google)

7. Replace the old one in the kotor2 directory (or make a bakup of the org.)

8. Run the game :lol:

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Thank you very much. I believe that I have performed all the steps you outlined but I'll deinstall, reboot and follow you suggestions step by step. I'm really getting tired kicking my grandson off of the old xp maching (where the game runs) and not being able to use the game on the new (much faster) machine. I have even considered setting up the new machine as a dual boot but cannot really justify buying a copy of xp for the new box just to run a game that I think should run as is.

I'm not a computer expert at all. In fact I have more of a reputation for breaking them but my computer, it isn't the same as yours, but it#s dual core. As yours is core duo, it miht be a similar issue to mine. What I did was just after clicking on the game, once installed, you have to have task manager up (ctrl, alt, del) and right click on swkotor2.exe or whatever it is and then 'select affinity' or something, and choose which processor to run it on. That solved my problem anyway. Not sure if it is the same as yours but I figure it was worth mentioning in case it is similar.

Edited by Kahiara

I actually have had issues when I first installed the game on my new pc, which runs the vista-32 OS. After a few frustrating attempts I'm actually able to now play the game fairly easy. At first I used the configure option and learned that I could play the game every time without issues as long as I just disabled the sound, but I wanted the whole package. I can now play fine, with sound, using the 'force software' option. Sometimes I get the message saying it's had a problem starting up so I close it, then re-open it and start it without sound then exit and check the 'force software' option again. Sometimes it takes 4-5 times but has worked okay thus far without any issues.

My 2-bits...

• 1 year later...

If you have the original Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic 1 (KOTOR 1),look for the mss32.dll file in the main directory.Copy and replace it with the mss32.dll file in your

KOTOR 2 directory.And make sure to have the game in Windows XP SP2 compablity before you run it.

It worked fine for me,using this solution.

And make sure you have a backup copy of the original mss32.dll file in the KOTOR 2 Directory