Should I go to the Game Developers Conference?

Kaftan Barlast

Ive got a friend at a swede studio and he cant go this year so he offered me to go in his place. The problem is that Im swedish and the whole thing is going to cost me around

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dont have an "F-tax certificate" so I cant deduct the trip, and Im very skeptical about spending every last bit of money I have :thumbsup:

Still, its the place to be.. and maybe Id get to have a few pints with some interesting people aswell :dancing:)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's the best way to meet key people in the industry (well, those who live in the country of Meatballs, anyway :mellow:), so stop being a commie and speculate to accumulate! :ermm:

Can't you deduct it in a couple years' time? These things can be put off until you're earning enough in some countries ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There will be more opportunities... at worst you'll have to make them for yourself. You need this money right now. It'd be fun to go, but is it really going to make your career? Sure key people from the industry will be there, but there is no easy way into this business. It's about hard work, and you need to use your current resources to that end, until you can make a big impression on these people next time.

Edited by Blank

I always tell my wallet that it is better to burn out than fade away :">

Once it's done, it is something nobody (short of the amnesia trick) can take away from you. Is it an opportunity? Go for it if you are serious about it :mellow:

And if there are booth babes, then remember to bring your camera.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

And here I was hoping that my company desided not to send me this year...

So if you go, will you get the pass so that you can go see people speak and such? If so, it may be worth it. If I were you I'd look at who was speaking and figure out exactly what you expect to get out of going before making your decision. You know, see if there was enough stuff there to make it worth your while. Otherwise if it's just to go in where there are company booths and such, I dunno. Yeah, you can walk around and meet people. In the career area (which is where I am) you'll mostly get to meet HR people and some developers that are there to help with recruitment. I would say most of the developers there are going to sit in and listen to the different panel speakers. It's a tough call! I don't think anyone can really say yes or no for you... it's all about how much that money means to you, or how much the industry means to you.

Hmm... I've been a member of this board for years and I think this is my first post outside of the "off topic" forum. Oooooooohhhh I might actually have a post count now! (w00t)

My baby girl arrived 6/16/06!

Hmm... I've been a member of this board for years and I think this is my first post outside of the "off topic" forum. Oooooooohhhh I might actually have a post count now! (w00t)

See? It didn't hurt at all... :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein