Congressman wants to use the Qur'an when sworn in

julianw

People say the same things about Islam.  One man does not represent an entire religion or its followers.

No, but it does say a lot about a religion on what type of people it attracts. Take Christianity's 2000 years worth of history. Can you honestly say it hasn't done as much, if not more, harm as good? A religion's worth is not just what its scriptures hold, but also the deeds of people who act in its name.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

People say the same things about Islam.  One man does not represent an entire religion or its followers.

No, but it does say a lot about a religion on what type of people it attracts. Take Christianity's 2000 years worth of history. Can you honestly say it hasn't done as much, if not more, harm as good? A religion's worth is not just what its scriptures hold, but also the deeds of people who act in its name.

Frankly I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond to you, but I'll say it one more time. Just to highlight the barefaced silliness of your point, most of the people today who practice the religion are peaceful people. The same thing goes throughout history, actually. Those who practice violence in its name were always in the minority. Hell, the religion was started with the blood of its own followers, not the blood of others. It's people who twist religion to suit their own purposes who are to blame most of the time. Same goes for any religion, not just Christianity. How about the Romans, hmm? Not practicing Christians, and yet they were still pretty violent people in their own respect. And no, the majority of a religion's worth is what the scriptures hold, not just the people who follow it. Deeds that are committed but go against such scriptures really aren't part of the religion.

Can you honestly say it hasn't done  as much, if not more, harm as good?

Yes. Christianity has promoted things such as loving your neighbor as yourself, loving your enemies, blessing the poor and humble, encouraging charity to others, and other such things. Not that you'll acknowledge it anyway, just FYI.

Tell that to Reverend Phelps.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Oh, I can list more than just one man but he is the most known of the Christian religion. Now I am not saying that only Christianity has people like him, for Judaism and Islam also have their share.

You state that Christianity promotes "loving your neighbor as yourself, loving your enemies, blessing the poor and humble, encouraging charity to others, and other such things." I am just showing that it does not in every case. Christianity also promotes intolerance, hate, and violence against those who are viewed against God. Then again not only Christianity does this. The problem is not specifically Christianity, Islam, or Judaism, but the nature of the God of Abraham.

Edited by Sand

Christianity also promotes intolerance, hate, and violence against those who are viewed against God. 

Actually, it doesn't. :p) But we're getting way off topic, here. I suppose it was asking too much of you not to troll about violence in religion when the topic wasn't really about it to begin with. Not that it really matters I'm sure, as long as you have an excuse to voice your [unjustified] hatred and intolerance.

Have you studied Christian history? It is full of violence and intolerance to those who do not follow the Christian belief system. As I said, I judge not only the scripture taught but also the actions of its followers.

I do not hate or intolerant of any religion that leave those who do not share their beliefs alone.

Yes, I have, Hades. I think it's rather unfair and absurd for you to think I haven't, especially with all the times you've been wrong in said subject. Unlike you though, I've studied more than just its violent aspects. The fact that you only look at the negative history of religion and judge it based on its followers is really not my problem. And if you really have to hate a religion simply because it tries to reach out to others, then that's your problem. Also, I think you'd do well to watch the two episodes of South Park - "Go God, Go!" Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go waste my time elsewhere. :p

What you call reaching out is what I call sticking their nose where it does not belong. Such in the case of this congressman using the Quran. What harm is it for an Islamic elected official to use the book of his faith? None whatsoever, yet Goode, a Christian if I read it right, decided to stick his nose... or reach out... where it did not belong.

Edited by Sand

For the record, the whole point of the New Testament (and therefore Christianity) is based on the two commandments: "Love thy God above all others" and "Love thy neighbour as much as oneself".

If everyone followed these commandments, then there wouldn't be war.

Anyway, I think this topic has run its course.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT