NWN2 taking up TEN GEGABYTES of space

roshan

OK now this is just STUPID. I had a look at my My Documents folder, and the NWN2 folder there is taking up THREE GEGABYTES of space. Each NWN2 saved game takes up a HUNDRED MEGABYTES of space! This is bloody ridiculous.

Why the hell do these saved games take so much space? And which idiot came up with the idea of putting them in the My Documents folder? Since My Documents is deep scanned by all anti virus, spyware and trojan scanning programs, it now takes literally HOURS and HOURS for me to scan my pc for any of these things, even using quickscan functions.

The main NWN2 folder is already taking up almost 7 gegabytes of space on my hard drive. So NWN2 plus 30 saves is taking up 10 GB. The game box says that the RECOMMENDED amount of free space is 4.6 GB. What the hell is the main folder doing taking up 7 GB of space??

It's a good idea to place all user-specific, non-global content in the "Home" directory of the user, which in Windows' case is My Documents (or its parent directory). That's the way it has been done in *nix for ages. Once you install a piece of software, you shouldn't have to write into the installation directory ever, and no non-root user should be able to write into it. After years of lameness from MS, Vista is finally making an attempt to fix it.

That said, I agree with you that 100MB savegames sound a bit on the ridiculous side.

It's a good idea to place all user-specific, non-global content in the "Home" directory of the user, which in Windows' case is My Documents (or its parent directory). That's the way it has been done in *nix for ages. Once you install a piece of software, you shouldn't have to write into the installation directory ever, and no non-root user should be able to write into it. After years of lameness from MS, Vista is finally making an attempt to fix it.

That said, I agree with you that 100MB savegames sound a bit on the ridiculous side.

The worst thing about it is that there is no logical reason for why the save files take so much space. The game is pretty much completely linear, there should hardly be anything to save.

Dude, NWN2 saves are only 16 mb each...

I have 5 saves. My brother has one from within West Harbour (Only 3MB) and I have 4 from various points in the game. My Aasimar Paladin game where I saved right before the final battle has a save folder around 150MB. The other three save folders are around 90MB each.

Freelancer (a game released in 2001 or so) has its saved games show up in My Documents as well. This is nothing new, and while there are still games out there that don't do this, it's becoming pretty common.

The worst thing about it is that there is no logical reason for why the save files take so much space

I had no idea you were qualified at all to make such a statement. If you have a concern, it'd probably be best to inquire in a bit less of an "OMG I hate this game and everything about it, yet I still play it because my goal is to bash it beyond belief" type rant, and just ask.

As for complaining about the file size and recommended HD space, all I have to say is give it a rest. We get that you don't like anything about the game, and that you'll stoop to any level to bash it. There's no need for you to bother posting rants, especially about inane things like how much file space it uses, and blasting it because it's recommended requirements didn't take into account that you'd have 30 different save game files :(

I guess I should have bitched out Ion Storm, because I had over a GB of saved games for Deus Ex, and that was back in 2000, when I only had a 60 GB HD and not a 250 GB HD.

If you're finding saved games are taking up too much room, then delete the saved games you don't need any more. The 100+ MB saves only come towards the end of the game, and if you're not making a million different saves for every 5 steps you take in the game, you're not going to actually need 3 gigabytes of space for your saved games.