Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 mod

~Di

The 1.13 Mod replaces the executable and a number of data files, so it's very likely that it would fix some of the problems. It may not fix all of them, and of course, being a Mod continually under development, it will add it's own problems now and then.

That being said, there is a post on the bears pit in the 1.13 Development forum that goes into some limited detail about getting Steam and 1.13 to work together.

For those who want to know Bear's Pit is the unofficali home for Jagged Alliance on the internet: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/

Steam and 1.13: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbth...age/1#Post57712

So far, i've only found one bug with the current 1.13 version which is that the done on the Auto Resolve screen failed to work after I auto-resolved a battle after retreatign my mercs from the Drassen mine following Diedranna's large counter attack leaving my game hanging at a finshed auto reolved battle with no way to do anything. I went back to a save, fought the battle a bit longer, tried it again and it still didn't work. Eventually after a bunch of tries, the done button finally worked. I don't know if it was just a random thing or if there was something happening in that auto-resolution that was causing the hang. When I first tried to auto the battle there were 87 enemies left, when I got it to finally work there were only about 45 or so, so maybe it was just the large number of enemies. Although I've auto resolved big battles before in prior versions and never had a problem. I'll keep an eye on it.

Other than that, awesome as ever! >_<

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The Steam version's bugs are the reason I haven't bought this game. I've also heard there's expansion material that's not included? Or is my Alzheimer's acting up, again?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If you mean Unfinished Business, it is included. But bugs are still horrid. And no response on Steam forms yet. :teehee:

Have you checked around the internet to see if you can find a boxed copy of Jag 2 gold? Last time I looked, which was a while ago admittedly, it was pretty easy to find for around $10 US. If you are OK with ordering over the internet, that may be the way to go. I'd send you a copy but I only have three! :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sorry, I guess I could linked while I was posting it, thanks though :p

If you can send a savegame of the autoresolve bug, that would be great, otherwise I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Hi Kaiden!

The only save I had from that time was an in-battle save and that slot gets overwritten each battle as needed so its long gone. :teehee:

But I've auto-resolved several battles since then and no problems. The only thing that was unusual about that particular autoresolve in which the done button didn't work was the large number of enemies (there were about a hundred involved to start which is more than I've ever seen before) and the fact I retreated my mercs from battle and left the remaining militia to fend for themselves which is something I rarely ever have to do. All my autoresolutions since then have been straight miltia on enemy battles that my mercs weren't involved with. And no problems there.

It may just have been a random thing.

Just some general comments: The mod is still really great. I haven't played it since a couple major relases ago. It defintily seems ramped up in difficulty a bit since then. I've been playing on Expert difficulty with the same custom ini settings which I've been using for a while now. The only things I change from the defaults is that I give Deidranna unlimited troops on Expert level and set her to agressive. Since I finished Drassen I've been facing almost exclusively elites everywhere. Even her regular counterattacks against Drassen and the Drassen SAM are almost entirely elites with a few red shirts in the mix. Last time I played there were some elites this early in the game but not this many. I'm not complaining though! I love getting all the good gear the elites carry. I have Bobby Ray's set to normal so its nice to be able to grab an M16A1 early on! Although the elite drops seem a little toned down from the last version I played. Which is cool, too. Having to train the roaming militia patrols rather than getting them for free is a good change. It helps balance that out quite a bit.

As I've always said this is the damn best mod for any game I've ever played. It keeps the feel and spirit of the game totally intact while adding to and enhancing the entire experience.

How do you train those militia patrols? I had the option set to on in the ini file but I could never work out how to train them ingame...

After you finish training the regular miltias all the way up to experience (all light blue) at $750 per session, you'll get a message asking if you want to train militia for $2250. If you say yes, you'll train a squad of 5 patrolling miltia which will appear outside of town in adjacent sector. Last version I played, each town sector you owned simpyl generated them for free at midnight of each day. That was a little unbalancing since it wasn't long before you had hundreds of militias roaming around for basically free. I can't really afford the $2250 at this point, so I've only been able to train one patrol which was quickly eliminated.

If you change some of the other options in the ini, this might happen differently. For example if you set Can_train_veteran = true or change some of the training costs, the procedure and costs for training patrols may change as well. I kept all the default settings for miltia, so I can only train them to experienced level. If you can trian to veteran level, you probably have to train all the town garrisons up to veteran before you can traain patrols.

I think it's very important to play the game through without the 1.13 mod first. This is just my opinion, but the difficulty of 1.13 may put off folks who don't have much JA experience. Plus, it is buggy. I enjoyed it tremendously for a few weeks and I love that it gave me a new JA fix. However I did hit a few game stopping bugs. For a first time play through, it's nice to be able to carry the campaign through to completion. There's no satisfaction quite like the first tme you hit Diedrianna with a head shot. It's a bummer that the Steam copies are buggy.

Have you checked around the internet to see if you can find a boxed copy of Jag 2 gold? Last time I looked, which was a while ago admittedly, it was pretty easy to find for around $10 US. If you are OK with ordering over the internet, that may be the way to go. I'd send you a copy but I only have three! o:)

Best Deal, is the Conquest 6-pack from Strategy First (Still available as of this posting). You get JA2, UB, and Wildfire for $30. You also get a few other crappy strategy games for the collector. The only one I really liked though, was Patrician II, but mainly because I'm a Taipan (Read Pirates/Sea Traiding Game) Fan.

If you can trian to veteran level, you probably have to train all the town garrisons up to veteran before you can traain patrols.

Correct, and then your patrols are also veteran.

Training roaming militia (And veteran) follow the same default rules of normal JA2 militia training. It's just been expanded to allow veteran and roaming militia, as well as price increases (even for upgrading to regular militia).

1. Fill up current sector with lowest militia.

2. Fill up nearby, owned town sectors with lowest militia.

3. Upgrade militia in current sector.

4. Upgrade militia in nearby, owned town sectors.

5. Upgrade militia to veteran in current sector (if veteran option is on).

6. Upgrade militia to veteran in nearby, owned town sectors (if veteran option is on).

7. Once every owned sector in this town is filled with the highest militia level you can train, train a squad of roaming.

Woooeee this version of the mod is tough! Not so much on the tactical map, but on the strategic map. My held secters are getting assailed by wave after wave of elite counterattacks. As long as I have a team in sector I can hold it, but my militias get totally hosed by themselves. They lose battles where they outnumber Deidranna's soldiers 40-20 with regularity. They've even lost a couple where they outnumber the soldiers 60-20! And this is in freaking Drassen still in the early part of the game. Not that I'm complaining. But its making the game a little static, since I've basically been fighting for control of Drassen and the nearby SAM for the first thirty days of the campaign. And I don't have enough money to buy another team and open up a second front as ity were, so I'm basically stuck in a stalemate with the queen. She can't take Drassen back (although she periodically is able to take back a sector or two, usually when she attacks both the airport and the mine sectors concurrently), but I can't leave. I could sacrifice Drassen and move the whole team to Cambria, but I would be in the same boat there, even worse since the counterattacks are much tougher there than in Drassen.

I think I'm going to start a new game and change the ini to allow my miltia to be trained to veteran status. Maybe they can do a better job holding sectors by themselves.

Not that starting a new game is a bad thing; this damn game is like crack. :thumbsup: