NWN Portraits

Well, sure gold comes in different values, but your armor still looks like flat synthetic material. You should play around with the specularity and eccentricity of your material, also don't forget to convey reflection light.

That's a medal (Toliman, Roman-Celtic mythology) I've done a year ago for a buddy, and although it's completely done in Maya, it should give you an idea of how much properties a material really consists of.

tl_gold1.jpg

I am realy not sure why you say it doesn't look golden.  :)

[...]

Please explain what exactly is the problem with it so I can correct the picture. :)

It is golden color, but doesn't have the right shading. Your shading is diffuse, you need to add more specular reflection. Like this or this. Notice, every image of gold you posted has reflections.

Argh. Morgoth beats me to it. :blink:

Edited by Diamond

1) Hey, really impressed, some very nice work.

2) I tend to prefer more neutral backgrounds for game portraits, as well, although as art on it's own I like the fancy backgrounds. Some of those would make good desktops if altered.

3) The retouched 'gold' looks a lot better. The first was too flat-yellow. The 2nd has better shadings and a better 'gold' color vs. simply yellow, to me.

4) I also think the dark background is a bit too much contrast to the gold, however. Part of this may be because his head is so low in the picture. If there was less space between his head and the top, the background might not be as distracting - course then you couldn't see much of it, either, heh. IMO, I think it looks better overall in terms of portrait use to have less space around the face/body, like the 1st and 2nd one you posted.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That one's a bit on the weird and wild side, yes. :D I don't get the mouth cover either - is it supposed to be a mask?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...I am working on mostly original pictures now, but I still remake some other ones.

See Imoen, a the new Thieves Guild Leader of Neverwinter (and Harper), and Clara, cleric of Sune*

showobsidian1my1.png

PS: as usual, both aren't ready yet, they are at 90% or what fully finished.

IB1OsQq.png